Applications call for Wiki Loves Africa Competition 2021. Wiki Loves Africa is an annual contest where anyone across Africa can contribute media that relates to that year’s theme to Wikimedia Commons for use on Wikipedia and other project websites of the Wikimedia Foundation. Wiki Loves Africa also encourages participants to contribute media (photographs, video and audio) that illustrate the specific theme for that year. Each year the theme changes. Each year’s theme is chosen by the community to be a universal, visually-rich and culturally-specific topics (for example, markets, rites of passage, festivals, public art, cuisine, natural history, urbanity, daily life, notable persons, etc).
There are several prizes up for grabs, both nationally and internationally. For national prizes, please see what events are being held locally in your country. At the international level, there are 3 main prizes for Wiki Loves Africa, and as with last year, there will be two additional prize categories for photos and media. The international prizes are:
- 1st prize: US$1000
- 2nd prize: US$800
- 3rd prize: US$500
- Culturally specific or traditional representations of health or wellness: US$500
- Furthermore, the prize for best quality video (audio and visual quality and storytelling will be taken into account): US$500
- All photos must be taken by the person submitting them. Unless they are uploaded during a registered mass upload session. Your image must have your name, username or nom de plume on the uploaded file.
- Entries will only be accepted if uploaded between the 15th February to 15th April 2021. You can enter media that was taken at any time, even historic photographs (as long as you own the copyright on these photographs or they are in the public domain), but they must be uploaded during those dates. Photographs that are already on Commons and re-uploaded are not eligible.
- Participants must be registered on Wikimedia Commons and be contactable. Please enable e-mail on Wikimedia Commons when registering so Wiki Loves Africa can contact you if your image is chosen for a prize.
- All entries submitted to the contest must be under a free licence (or in the public domain). In most cases, the photo will automatically be licensed under the Creative Commons
- Also, attribution-Share Alike 4.0 (CC-BY-SA 4.0). Read more about the cc-by-sa license here.
- Images with watermarks or embedded signatures will not be eligible.
- Pictures or media must be categorized under Images from Wiki Loves Africa 2021 to be eligible.
- To be considered for the video prize, the file must be uploaded in a video format (.ogg, .ogv, or .webm) that is accepted on Wikimedia Commons. Please note that the audio and visual quality and storytelling will be taken into account for your file to be eligible for a prize.
Terms and Conditions