World Habitat Awards 2019 is open for application.
World Habitat Awards recognise and highlight innovative, outstanding and sometimes revolutionary housing ideas, projects and programmes from across the world. The projects demonstrate substantial as well as lasting improvements in living conditions. The award is presented in partnership with UN-Habitat.
The Awards were established in 1985 for the identification and the promotion of good habitat practices. From the very beginning, the focus has been not only on the identification of good housing practices but also in the sharing of knowledge and experience to others who can transfer them in their own situations. The award looks for housing projects and approches that
- demonstrate practical, innovative and sustainable solutions to current housing issues faced by countries all around the world
- are transferrable or adaptable for use as appropriate
- are already being implemented or are completed ie not at design stage or very early stages of development
- view the term habitat from a broad perspective and bring other benefits as well, such as energy or water saving, income generation, social inclusion, community and individual empowerment, health benefits, capacity building or education.
- A prize of £10,000 for each of the two winning projects.
- Also, trophies to the winning projects on World Habitat Day at a major UN-Habitat event
- Travel as well as accommodation costs for one representative of each winning project to attend the awards ceremony.
- Above all, international recognition
- Any individual, organisation or government who has an innovative and practical solution to housing needs and problems from any country of the world.
- More than one entry from the same individual or organisation is acceptable.
- Likewise, entries should relate to housing projects and processes that are in completion or in progress.
The projects should include
- Provision of low-cost, affordable housing for low-income households
- Environmentally sustainable housing
- Restoration of existing housing
- Likewise, provision of housing designed to withstand natural disasters
- Housing provision for those with special needs
- Similarly, housing developed and managed on a cooperative or other socially sustainable basis
- Moreover, projects and processes that ensure the right to land and housing
You can Apply Online.