Applications are now open for fully funded Algerian Youth Leadership Program 2020 in Algeria. The Algerian Youth Leadership Program is a leadership development opportunity for Algerian and American youth, ages 15-17. This cultural and academic exchange will take place in Reno, Nevada and Washington, DC from June 15-July 8, 2020, with an orientation in Algiers from June 12-14, 2020. Similarly, the program will employ an interactive approach both in workshops and in a range of public and community settings. Moreover, through engagement in the activities, youth and adult participants will better understand civic participation, the rights, and responsibilities of citizens in a democracy and the role that social enterprises play in a community. Further, the program is highly academic and provides participants with the skills to complete a required post-program service project in their local communities.
The four-week U.S-based cultural exchange program focuses on the primary themes of civic education, youth leadership development, respect for diversity, and community engagement. Similarly, the participants will engage in a variety of activities, such as workshops on leadership and service, community site visits related to the program themes, interactive training and discussion groups, small group work, presentations, local cultural activities, and homestays with American families, among other activities.
The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, in conjunction with its private partners pay for:
- ground transportation to and from Algiers
- international transportation to and from the United States
- orientations and workshops, program fees and administration
- site visits and seminars, lodging, and most meals
- similarly, some cultural activities, educational materials
- also, accident and sickness insurance coverage.
Participants stay with volunteer host families while in Reno.
The eligibility for the program is divided into two categories: Youth and Adult
Youth who are eligible to apply are those who:
- are a legal citizen of Algeria
- will be 15, 16 or 17 years old on or before June 12, 2020
- have demonstrated English skills, sufficient for understanding the academic discussion and everyday social interactions
- further, have at least one year of high school remaining after the program. If you are selected as a semifinalist, you will be required to submit an original high school transcript and a school certificate to verify that you have at least one year of high school remaining.
- have demonstrated leadership in their schools and/or communities
- similarly, have an interest in the program themes of social entrepreneurship, leadership and project development and would like to participate in academic classes and do work to develop in these areas
- have permission from their parent(s) or legal guardian to participate in the entire program
- also, do not have a familial relation to the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement, or the U.S. Department of State
Adult Participants who are eligible to apply are those who:
- Are legal citizens of Algeria
- Work actively mentoring youth in their professional or volunteer activities
- Are community leaders
- Have excellent English
- Moreover, who are committed to working with the Youth Leadership Program participants after their return from the United States and assist in the implementation of community projects
- Have travel experience outside of their home state or province (international travel experience is not required). Program staff will travel with you to the U.S.
- Further, are committed to the goals and ideals of the program, including civic leadership, diversity and fostering regional and global interactions
- Similarly, those who are not employed by and/or do not have a familial relation to the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement or the U.S. Department of State
The application consists of two (2) parts-and online Written Application and an online Video Interview. Also, all parts of the application must be completed entirely in English. Further, the information you provide in the written and video portions of the application will be used to select semifinalists for this program. Please read all the instructions and answer all the questions carefully and completely.
Youth Participants: Click here to apply
Adult Participants: Click here to apply