Fully Funded Civic Space Ligitation Surgery 2019 is now available for application.
The Pan-African Lawyers Union (PALU) and Robert F Kennedy Human Rights are calling for applications from lawyers and civil society organizations based in East Africa to participate in a forthcoming litigation surgery on the protection of civic space. The litigation surgery will take place in Arusha, Tanzania between 1-2 May 2019. All applicants need to submit a current or potential case involving the protection of civic space for discussion as well as workshopping.
Benefits from the Program
Robert F Kennedy Human Rights will cover the costs of airfare, visas, transportation, accommodations, and a reasonable per diem for expenses not otherwise covered for up to 8 selected participants.
- The litigation surgery is open to lawyers and civil society representatives from East Africa. Furthermore, the participants need to have a demonstrated commitment to addressing threats to civic space in their home country.
- Besides, the participants must be involved in, or considering, litigating a case or cases that address the suppression of civic space involving a violation of the rights to freedoms of expression, assembly, and/or association. With their application, they must submit a case that they are litigating or intend to litigate before an African human rights body that could be discussed and workshopped during the litigation surgery.
- The following non-exhaustive list of themes are a guide for the types of cases
- Suppression of peaceful protests
- Burdensome regulatory restrictions on civil society organizations
- Suppression of the media and access to information
- Abuse of laws or policies in the context of countering terrorism
- Impunity for threats, violence, and arbitrary detention
- While all civic space cases get considerations, encouragement is for the cases that touch on intersectionality of issues and/or address untested or developing areas of regional human rights jurisprudence
In order to apply you need to complete the online application form.