The Democratic Alliance calls application for DA Young Leaders Program 2020. The Young Leaders Programme is an intensive, year-long, part-time political leadership development course, known around the world as the gold standard in political development. The Programme strives to give passionate, young South African leaders the opportunity to develop themselves to their full potential, irrespective of their background.
The DA Young Leaders Program (YLP) is a political leadership learning and development program for South Africans between the ages of 18 and 35 who align themselves with the DA’s values of Freedom, Fairness, Opportunity, and Diversity. Participants of the program are highly motivated individuals, interested in pursuing a career in politics or public service, with the aim of creating One Nation with One Future.
At the start of the Young Leaders Programme, Participants will be required to conceptualize their own Leadership Project, and to then execute this project during the course of the Programme year. The successful completion of the Leadership Project is a requirement for graduation from the Young Leaders Programme.
Costs and Funding
All costs directly related to the YLP are covered by the DA. The Young Leaders Programme does not cover international traveling costs.
Who can apply?
- The YLP is open to all young South African citizens between the ages of 18 and 35, with a track record of leadership excellence.
- These applicants must share the DA’s vision and must have proven themselves to be passionate leaders set on making a difference in South Africa.
- Participants must either be living in South Africa or if they are temporarily abroad, be returning to South Africa in time for the start of the program.
Young Leaders typically demonstrate many of the following characteristics:
- A personal ideological alignment to the DA’s vision of One Nation with One Future, rooted in our values of Freedom, Fairness, Opportunity, and Diversity.
- A high level of interest in, and knowledge about, South African politics and current affairs.
- An excellent understanding of the DA’s principles and policies.
- A demonstrable leadership track record.
- Examples and evidence of having taken initiative, stepping outside normal roles to start something new.
- The ability to argue and reason well.
- Passion, drive, and confidence.
- An authentic motivation to be actively involved in politics in the future.
- A high level of self-awareness, maturity, and emotional intelligence.
- Involvement in the DA.
- Applicants will receive an automatic system email confirming they submitted a form online.
- Applications are reviewed by the Young Leaders Office and applicants will receive a confirmation email within 2 days, indicating whether their application package is complete or incomplete. If you do not receive confirmation, please contact the office.
- All applicants who have successfully submitted a complete application package will be required to complete a 2-hour long online test.
- Shortlisting of applications
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to an interview. The selection process continues.