UNESCO Week for Peace and Sustainable Development
Program Date: 6 to 10 March 2017
Venue: Ottawa, Canada
UNESCO and the Canadian Commission for UNESCO are jointly organizing the “UNESCO Week for Peace and Sustainable Development: the Role of Education” in Ottawa, Canada (6-10 March 2017). The event presents a unique platform for discussion on two key programmes of UNESCO’s Education Sector, namely Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) and Global Citizenship Education (GCED) and their practical contributions in achieving SDG 4.7. The Week will focus on the issue of teachers and teacher training, and highlight best practices in the field of ESD and GCED.
Programme Themes of the UNESCO Week
In order to pursue their objectives, both Fora will in particular address the following programme themes:
- Formal and non-formal education
- Transformative pedagogy
- Preparing teachers to teach ESD/GCED
- Whole-school approach
- Measurement – assessing impact and results
Approximately 400 stakeholders from government, non-governmental and private sectors from all continents will be expected to attend the Week. Participation will be by invitation only.
Objectives of the UNESCO Week for Peace and Sustainable Development:
The Week is organized in order to maximize interactions, networking and free debates and discussions among its participants. The Week will:
- Provide space for participants to discuss strategies to implement Target 4.7 of Sustainable Development Goal 4 – Education;
- Enable exchange of good practices and experiences in the fields of ESD and GCED;
- Present the opportunity for participants to learn about the latest trends and innovation in pedagogical approaches and practices in ESD and GCED.
Deadline: 23rd December, 2016