Fully Funded United Nations WFP Innovation Accelerator 2018 Cohort III in Germany has opened the application for the for mentorship, financial support and access to WFP operations, partners and technical experts. The United Nations WFP is inspiring and supporting new ideas, tools, and solutions that make sure no one goes hungry. Launched in 2016, the WFP Innovation Accelerator identifies, supports and scales high potential solutions to hunger worldwide. They support WFP intrapreneurs and external start-ups and companies through financial support, access to a network of experts and a global field reach. The Accelerator is based in Munich, Germany.
- Innovation Bootcamp: Selected teams are invited to participate in a Bootcamp in Munich, Germany, where they deep dive field-level challenges, ideate solutions and refine project plans. WFP introduces participants to cutting-edge innovation techniques, such as human-centered design and lean start-up, to create viable business models and use cases for WFP and its beneficiaries.
- Pitch Night: The week-long Bootcamp culminates with Pitch Night – an opportunity for teams to share their solutions with an audience of investors and industry leaders who can help them bring to scale.
- Sprint Programme: The best teams are selected to participate in a three-to-six-month Sprint Programme, where they receive up to USD 100,000 in funding, field access, and hands-on support so that they can test the solution’s impact and scalability for WFP. To support implementation, the Accelerator helps teams connect with a global network of mentors, including private sector and non-profit experts, donors and WFP Country Offices.
- Your start-up, company or NGO must be incorporated at the time of application. It can be for-profit or not-for-profit.
- Your innovation must at least be at the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) stage. Proof of concept is preferred.
- Your proposal must show how working with WFP will serve your long-term strategy.
Applications submitted to the WFP Innovation Accelerator are assessed according to a standard set of criteria and are reviewed by both WFP and external experts. Please note that we prioritize projects that are designed alongside our core users—vulnerable communities—and piloted at an early stage to ensure impact and maximize cost-effectiveness. We are looking for innovations that meet the following expectations:
- Impact for the people we serve and potential to reach Zero Hunger
- Feasibility, including time to deliver impact, technology maturity, and user traction
- Level of innovation
- Financial sustainability with a clear business case that does not rely on WFP funding
- Team strength, experience, and commitment
- Check your eligibility in the section above.
- Visit application page
- Create an account and ask your team members to register. All team members need to be registered so that you can apply as a team.
- “Create a team” by selecting registered members or inviting others to join your team. If team members are unable to register, you can select “It’s just me” to access the application.
- Answer the questionnaire. We want to learn about the problem, your proposed solution and its potential impact, your company and your team. When you are done with the questionnaire, click on “Connect”.