The Aviation Safety Officer position is located in the Aviation Safety Section (AvSS) in the Office of Supply Chain Management (OSCM) within the Department of Operational Support (DOS).
The Department of Operational Support provides comprehensive operational support and advisory services to various entities within the secretariat, including departments, Offices Away from Headquarters, field missions, and regional commissions. The Office of Supply Chain Management comprises several divisions and sections, and the incumbent will report to the Chief of the Aviation Safety Section or a designated official.”
Within the bounds of authorized responsibility , the Aviation Safety Officer will have the following tasks:
• Supports the further development, planning, programming, and implementation of the United Nations (UN) Aviation Safety Policy and all related programmes, processes, and procedures (e.g., the Aviation Safety Programme, Aviation Safety Mission Visits Programme, etc.).
• Develops and maintains various monitoring systems (e.g., for flight operations occurrence reports, monitoring of missions’ aviation safety assurance activities Emergency Response Plan etc.).
• Compiles and analyzes aviation safety related statistical data from diverse sources; presents findings, identifying adverse trends, lessons learned, etc.; ensures dissemination of results.
• Provides advice to senior management and clients on issues/problems pertaining to aviation safety.
• Makes recommendations on the improvement of aviation safety aspects of UN air operations with particular attention to vendors’ safety performance, site inspections, occurrences reporting, data collection and analysis, etc.
• Supports and disseminates ICAO Annexes, Standards and Recommended Practices; assesses these standards against UN flight standards and provides inputs and recommendations for review; supports external aviation safety programmes and assessments.
• Contributes to the preparation of various written reports, guidelines, studies, briefings and other communications, and organizes and conducts Aviation Safety meetings.
• Monitors the integration of Aviation Risk Management into aviation safety assurance activities.
You could also be interested in: UNDP Jobs 2023 || Project Specialist Officer
Here’s what you need to know about the UN Internship Programme for Aviation Safety Officers:
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview.
This position is funded by the Support Account. The appointment or assignment against this position is for an initial period of one year. Extension of the appointment is subject to the extension of the mandate and/or the availability of funds.
For more information you can visit: careers.un.org
|Type of Opportunity||Internships|
|Organizer||Department of Operational Support of UN Career|