Deputy Directors Internship, Regional Office for North America (RONA).
Deputy Directors position is located in the Regional Office for North America (RONA) in the Washington DC duty station. Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Regional Director and in accordance with the priorities of UNEP Headquarters, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
Responsibilities for Deputy Directors:
1. Policy Making:
Assist the Regional Director in maintaining a close working relationship and coherent coordination with governments and agencies in the region, regional and sub regional environmental financial institutions, and intergovernmental bodies by:
- Undertaking consultations with partners to determine their priorities, identifying areas of cooperation, and informing them about UNEP’s priorities and programmes;
- Following-up strategic policies of UNEP regarding resource mobilization, in harmony with the priorities of UNEP Headquarters so as to maintain a secure funding base for the organization
2. Information Gathering:
Undertake regional environmental Information gathering on behalf of UNEP Headquarters and service the information needs of the Executive Director, through appropriate channels, by:
- Collecting and analyzing information on regional environmental matters (especially emerging issues) and socio-economic data on the region;
- Broadening the base of and diversifying sources of information on matters of relevance to UNEP (governments, NGOs, Internet, Universities, Media, etc.);
- Supervising information packaging and communicating data clearly and concisely to UNEP Headquarters through the Regional Director and the Assistant Secretary-General and Head of the UNEP New York Office as required;
- Ensuring a two-way communication flow with UNEP Headquarters.
3. Focal Responsibility for Substantive Activities;
Assist the Regional Director in promoting regional and sub-regional cooperation on substantive activities by:
- Providing advice to the Regional Director regarding options and programme activities;
- Catalyzing activities in North America related to UNEP’s programme of work
4. Coordination of Image Building/Public Information:
Assist the Regional Director in enhancing UNEP’s visibility and raising public awareness of environmental issues in the region by:
- Developing and implementing proactive outreach/special events, programmes and activities;
- Inspiring the development of high profile region-specific new initiatives in consultations with relevant colleagues.
you also Appreciate :Programme Specialist (UN Women)
5. Management of Administrative Operations:
Support the daily administrative functioning of operations in the Regional Office by:
- Assisting the Regional Director in the preparation and implementation of the Regional Office’s programme of work;
- Managing the administrative functions of the office and apportioning specific work and assignments to subordinates, including consultants;
- Serving as the designated security coordinator under the UN Security Plan at the duty station.
- Acting as Officer-in-Charge in the absence of the Regional Director and represent him/her at meetings, when required.
7. Leads team members efforts to collect and analyze data and provides insight to identify trends or patterns for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting. Ensures that everyone can discover, access, integrate and share the data they need.
8. Undertaking ad hoc assignments to support the functions of the Regional Office.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in environmental management, economics/political science, public administration or related fields is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in national and international administration governmental or environmental advocacy work is required.
- Relevant experience in building strategic partnerships in the North America region is required.
- Experience working with governments, in resource mobilization and partnerships building, in the North American region is required.
- Experience dealing with international environmental governance is required.
- Experience in the United Nations system or a comparable international organization, particularly in the field of environment, is desirable.
- Proven experience in managing teams is desirable.
- Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised fluency in English is required. Knowledge of any other UN official language is desirable.
NOTE: ”Fluency” equals a rating of ”fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ”Knowledge of” equals a rating of ”confident” in two of the four areas.
Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
for more information visits, UN