Economic Affairs Officer in Bangkok, Thailand at United Nation
Economic Affairs Officer position is located in the Financing for Development Section, in the Macroeconomic Policy and Financing for Development Division. The incumbent reports to the Chief of Financing for Development Section.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Financing for Development Section, and overall supervision of the Director, Macroeconomic Policy and Financing for Development Division, the incumbent is required to perform the following functions:
Economic or sector analysis
- Monitors financing for development issues agreed at the third International Conference on Financing for Development in Addis Ababa and suggested at other international forums and multilateral processes led by the United Nations, especially the Paris Agreement and the Kunming-Montreal Global Biodiversity Forum; as well as their concomitant trends in the Asia-Pacific region. .
- Drafts reports and inputs for publications, including for the Financing for Development in the Asia and the Pacific series..
- Analyze economic prospects and policies . in areas related to financing for development and their implications to the sustainable development agenda, as well as the Paris Agreement.
- Formulates proposals for development strategies, financing policies and reform measures for presentation to intergovernmental bodies and others national, subregional and regional forums.
- Attends international, regional, and national meetings to hold discussions with representatives of other institutions, development partners, business associations, civil society organizations and academia.
- Organizes expert group meetings, seminars, etc. on development issues.
- Prepares speeches and other inputs for presentations by senior staff.
- Provides substantive support on economic issues of financing for development to intergovernmental bodies (such as the General Assembly, the ESCAP Commission and the Committee on Macroeconomic Policy, Poverty Reduction and Financing for Development and expert group meetings on financing for development.
- Represents organizational unit at international, regional and national meetings.
you might like, 2023 Country Officer in Port Vila, Vanuatu (World Bank)
- Designs and monitors technical cooperation projects.
- Conducts training seminars and workshops for government officials and others.
- Formulates technical modalities for the evaluation of individual technical cooperation projects.
- Supports junior staff, reviewing their work and providing feedback.
- Participates in intra- and inter-Departmental undertakings of broader concern to represent the views or interests of MPFD.
- Performs other related duties as required, including a variety of administrative tasks necessary for the final delivery of the Section’s work and service.
- Undertakes on-the-job and other training activities, both internally and externally.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in finance, economics, public policy or related field is required.
- A relevant first-level university degree in the above fields in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in economic research and analysis, policy formulation, application of economic principles in sustainable development programmes or related area is required.
- Experience in designing and implementing Paris-aligned and SDG-aligned technical assistance or capacity building programmes related to financing for development is required.
- Experience in delivering substantive and high-quality research in the area of financing for development in the Asia-Pacific region is desirable.
- Experience in working in the financial regulators, or the banking and finance sector is desirable.
- Research experience in the area of financing the just energy transition is desirable.
English and French are the working language of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Qualified applicants may be evaluated through a competency-based interview and/or other assessment methods.
Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!