Internship in New York, USA is for the position of Senior Development Policy Adviser to the Administrator in UNDP. The Senior Development Policy Adviser (SDPA) is the principal coordinator of development policy advice to the Administrator. Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Staff and Director of the Executive Office the Senior Development Policy Adviser will work closely with UNDP Policy and Regional Bureaux, UN Reform initiatives, UN common system partners and other major stakeholders, as well as the entire Executive Office of the Administrator, the SDPA scans, analyzes, prioritizes, aggregates and prepares the most relevant and timely development policy information to support the work of the Administrator. The SDPA manages the Development Policy and Strategic Coordination Team ensuring that policy advice to the Administrator and messaging specific to his role including statements to the press, speeches and briefs for high-level interventions are at the highest quality, in the appropriate voice, are aligned to the strategic plan and developed with relevant partners.
The Senior Development Policy Adviser will be responsible for the following functions:
- Development Policy Advice
- Knowledge Management
- Process Management
- Team Management & Communication
Development Policy Advice
- Provides the Administrator with timely, relevant, highest quality development policy products; in follow-up briefs; speaking notes, speeches, background material and summaries reflecting the work of policy makers across UNDP as well as trends in policy actions among partners and stakeholders to optimize the Administrators awareness and work.
- Anticipates the needs of the Administrator and obtains and develops relevant information and materials in advance of need
- Works closely with and under the direct supervision of the Director, Executive Office as well as the Deputy Director to ensure development policy guidance is on target, fully coordinated and appropriate.
- Develops a robust network of policy makers across the organization creating a ready two directional flow of information and data ensuring partners are and feel heard in supporting the Administrator and that policy advice is of highest relevance.
- Conveys the Administrator’s priorities, voice and perspective to policy makers ensuring they are, in real time, informed of political aspects and strategic nuance required in formulating policy advice content.
- Actively and regularly engages with the Strategic Planning Surge Team and the Administrator’s Support team and the rest of the Executive Office to ensure that everyone’s work is informed by policy guidance content and vice versa.
- Through ongoing client-oriented engagements, ensures and promotes quality and relevance of document submissions, agenda preparation, coordination with other critical decision-making events and reporting of decisions.
- Identifies, and if possible resolves, policy differences and conflicts in advance of decision making meetings.
Team Management & Communication
- Under the overall guidance of the Director, Executive Office, manage the Development Policy & Strategic Communication Team.
- Empower the Policy Adviser role to act as a full partner as well a support in both internal governance arrangements (EG and OPG) and policy advice content creation.
- Ensure that the Press Officer, Speech Writer and Communications functions are properly positioned as a team within the Executive Office to be on target with messaging content specific for the Administrator including speeches, press arrangements and briefings and other relevant communications products.