The United Nations Office at Geneva is accepting applications for the position of Public Information Intern. This Internship opportunity is open to all nationalities and the duty station will in the UN Office at Geneva, Switzerland. The Information Service of the United Nations Office at Geneva internship is for a period of three to six months depending on the needs of the service. In addition to that, this internship opportunity is unpaid and full-time.
Basically, interns work five days per week (40 hours) under the supervision of the Chief of the Press and External Relations Section and the Press Officer in charge of social media and outreach, within the Information Service.
The intern will work in the Information Service of the United Nations Office at Geneva. S/he will do the following tasks under the primary of the Chief of the Press External Relations Section
- Contribute to the organization of commemorative events, such as the Holocaust Remembrance Day, the World Press Freedom Day, the Peacekeepers Day, and the Day to Eradicate Extreme Poverty.
- Assist with the organization of regular Ciné-ONU movie screenings and discussions, by researching topics, establishing contacts with producers, liaising with partners, providing logistical support, etc.
- Help organize information programs for visiting groups (mostly students) by liaising with United Nations officials and groups of students, diplomats, and NGOs, helping with administrative arrangements as well as escorting groups visiting the Palais des Nations.
- Contribute to the organization of quarterly Mix & Mash events, in cooperation with and under the guidance of the Associate Public Information Officer.
- Contribute to the daily media monitoring of Swiss newspapers (in French, German, Italian, and English), with other UNIS interns;
- Attend biweekly press briefings with other UNIS interns; draft at least two press briefing summaries and receive feedback;
- Similarly, attend at least two full-day meetings of human rights treaty bodies or the Human Rights Council; draft at least two press releases and receive feedback.
Write short articles for publication on iSeek, the UN’s intranet, as requested.
- Contribute to the gathering and creation of social media materials for @UNGeneva Twitter, Facebook and Instagram platforms, and help the Social Media Intern as needed, for example, during live coverage of major events.
- Perform administrative tasks such as updating the calendar of meetings, drafting letters, translating emails, letters, and documents, filing, etc.
- Furthermore, carry out other tasks as requested by the United Nations Information Service.
The candidate must have the following specifications in order to apply for this Internship Opportunity at the UN Office at Geneva
- University degree in Journalism, communications, or organizational management; students of international relations or related fields. In addition to that, s/he must be enrolled in a master’s degree program or apply within one year of graduation.
- Professional work experience is not necessary for participation in the program.
- Fluency in English and French is needed. Furthermore, knowledge of other official UN languages, German, and/or Italian, is a plus.
All the candidates complete the online application (including Cover Note and Personal History Profile). Incomplete applications will be invalid. The Cover Note must include:
- Title of degree you are currently pursuing.
- Graduation Date (When will you be/have graduated/graduated from the program?).
- IT skills and programs that you are proficient in.
- Top three areas of interest.
- Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship. Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme.
- Scanned copies of the applicant’s valid passport and medical insurance coverage.