The International Federation of Red Cross calls application for Traineeship in the Global Protection Affairs Unit in Switzerland. The Global Protection Affairs Unit (Prot Glob) acts as a focal point for protection issues related to global counter-terrorism measures and global actors’ extraterritorial activities. The Unit supports ICRC delegations to develop their protection strategies by sharing experiences and tools, by analyzing current trends in counter-terrorism measures, and by developing the ICRC’s protection programs in accordance with those trends.
The candidate at the Traineeship Program in the Global Protection Affairs Unit at Red Cross will
- Support and contribute to the Unit’s analytical and advisory roles.
- Assist directly on specific files, particularly support to Foreign Fighter and their Families file, dialogue with Global actors, and former Guantanamo Bay detainees.
- Communicate with various field delegations to assist them with their work.
- Participate in the research and development of the Unit’s projects on issues stemming from counter-terrorism by carrying out information collection, synthesis, and summarization.
- Take part in the creation and maintenance of information sharing tools.
- Be responsible for the administration within the Unit.
- Organize and maintain electronic and paper records.
- Take part in planning and organizing the Unit’s meetings and workshops, in coordination with other Units.
University degree in Law, Political Science, or related field. Only individuals enrolled in higher education or who have recently completed their studies are eligible to be trainees/associates. For candidates to be eligible they must have a maximum of one year’s professional experience after graduation (relating to the post) or two years if they have been in previous traineeships.
- Strongly motivated by humanitarian work.
- Interest in Protection issues and knowledge in operations and strategies used for Global Counter-Terrorism measures.
- Fluent written and spoken English and French, native speaker an advantage. Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
- Excellent research, analysis, and synthesis skills.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team and with colleagues at a distance.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Experience within the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement an asset.