Senior Operations Officer Internship in Juba, South Sudan (The World bank)
The Senior Operations Officer in Juba will be part of GTFS2 within the FCV Group. He/she will be expected to be based in Juba for three years or for the duration of his / her contract with the World Bank. She/he will have a dual reporting – to the GTFS2 Practice Manager (full line) and to the Country Manager for South Sudan (dotted line).
Key responsibilities of Senior Operations Officers (Juba) will include:
- Lead/contribute to analytical work focusing on fragility, conflict, and violence and broader political economy issues and their relations to the development agenda in South Sudan;
- Contribute to country engagement products and the preparation of eligibility notes and other process steps to access the FCV envelope and the Window for Host Communities under IDA;
- Provide hands-on operational support, including the design and implementation of programming, and contribute to strategic and policy aspects of the Bank’s engagement in South Sudan;
- Provide support to task teams/work as a task team member to help enhance the FCV sensitivity of operations, including through the development and operationalization of a peace and inclusion lens;
- Help manage partnerships with other actors, including political, security, and humanitarian actors, particularly UN agencies and civil society organizations, with a view to enhancing linkages between these entities’ work and the Bank’s development activities to enhance collaborative impact on the ground;
- Coordinate other activities undertaken by the FCV Group in the four countries of the CMU, including implementation of the Geo-Enabling for Monitoring and Supervision (GEMS) tool;
- Contribute to strengthening FCV skills of country team members through training and advisory work as needed;
- Working with the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) to deliver the recently approved SPF-financed activity: Examining the Social Contract in South Sudan.
Similar recommendations: 2024 Internship in Policy and Communications Unit (UNCDF)
Selection Criteria for Senior Operations Officer (Juba):
- Advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) in economics, law, social sciences, or another relevant discipline and at least 8 years of directly relevant experience;
- Client focus and drive for results; demonstrated commitment to the principles of client-driven development;
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of FCV issues, including conflict risk mitigation in South Sudan;
- Outstanding strategic and analytical skills and ability to link political analysis and operational implications;
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills, and ability to work with a range of stakeholders;
- Strong organizational skills; ability to prioritize, to deal with frequent and unexpected changes, and to work within tight timeframes;
- Strong communications skills, both verbal and written;
- Experience with Bank operations, policies, procedures and processes;
- Personal integrity, ability to handle confidential matters in a discreet and respectful manner.
- Recognized by peers and/or managers for ability to identify and pro-actively solve operational issues and problems.
Fragile, Conflict and Violence Situations Skills:
- Knowledge of FCV context, applied to operations and analytical tasks, joint with a substantive understanding of fragility, conflict, and violence, including polarization of state-society relations, diminished client capacity, and relevance of partnerships;
- FCV behavioral skills and ability to demonstrate the mind-set needed for success in FCV settings (adaptability, resilience, determination, and sound judgment), willingness to coach others on the team around these factors;
- FCV operational skills in coordinating a pragmatic approach to FCS operations, looking for ways to help the client to achieve early results while maintaining a strategic approach.
Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
For more information visits World bank