Technical Intern Associate – Infrastructure (NPSA-6 Bamyan) Kabul, Afghanistan (UNDP)
The Technical Associate for Infrastructure will work in close coordination with the PMU team and be responsible for providing technical support to Infrastructure component. S/he works under the guidance and supervision of the respective Area Manager. The technical associate will also work closely with partners, UN Agencies, technical advisors and experts, and civil society to help implement infrastructure activities. The Technical Intern Associate position is located in Kabul, Afghanistan.
Duties and Responsibilities of Technical Intern Associate
The incumbent will undertake the following to ensure the success of the project:
Support effective design and implementation of Infrastructure activities in the ABADEI program, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Take a lead in the identification of the infrastructure related activities;
- Conduct technical surveys and feasibility studies of the selected infrastructure projects. Prepare technical designs, including drawings, specifications, and Bill of Quantities and ensure International and National Standards/Norms (IBC) for quality and safety;
- Ensure regular monitoring of the infrastructure projects and Report immediately the gaps or findings from activities in the ground to Supervisor and implementing partner/ contractor for resolving the issue;
- Assist in the preparation of the bidding documents and evaluation reports related to procurement; Assist in contract management.
Provide support in developing partnerships and ensure coordination with implementing partners and relevant stakeholders including UN agencies, focusing on achievement of the following:
- Support capacity building of local partners and implementing partners, organize relevant orientations and trainings for local partners.
- Identify potential organizations to engage with in the targeted areas and contribute to build a network.
- Act as the UNDP/ABADEI infrastructure focal person in the respective region to develop and support a coordination mechanism that allows to share information and to harmonize the work carried out by different partners.
- Provide engineering support to other projects and programmes in case of need.
- Support working relationships and create programmatic linkages with relevant UN Agencies and counterparts, as guided by the supervisor.
You should take a look at, Information Systems Officer at United Nation in Switzerland
Required Skills and Experience
- High School Diploma or High Diploma with certification in Engineering, Economics, Social Sciences, Urban Planning and Development, Civil or Architecture Engineering .
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Economics, Social Sciences, Urban Planning and Development, Civil or Architecture Engineering is desirable but is not a requirement.
Experience: Minimum of six (06) years with High School Diploma or three (03) years with Bachelor Degree/High Engineering Diploma of relevant experience in designing, managing and providing technical oversight to infrastructure projects.
- Knowledge and familiarity with the region is a requirement
- Previous experience working at community level is required.
- Knowledge and experience of result-based management and project implementation.
- Good analytical skills and writing skills.
- Experience working in crisis or transition context.
- Knowledge and experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.), including working knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages
- Experience in the usage of construction and architecture software packages and web-based management systems
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section:
- Experience from previous UN assignments and/or multilateral and bi-lateral aid organizations would be an asset.
- Experience in civil works contract management is an asset.
- Proficiency in English is required – both written and oral.
- Fluency in local language of duty station Dari and/or Pashto is required.
Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!