(UN) Human Resources Officer Internship (Temporary Job Opening) in New York, USA
UN Human Resources officers position is available due to the temporary assignment of the regular incumbent through 16 July 2024. If the selected candidate is a staff member from the United Nations Secretariat, the selection will be administered as a temporary assignment.
Advisory Services and Client Relations Management
- Offering strategic HR advice as Tier 2 support to client entities, conducting thorough reviews, summarizing data, liaising with HQ offices, and interpreting regulations for various HR aspects across the Secretariat. Topics include planning, organization, staffing, development, performance, entitlements, and staff categories.
- Provides advice to client entities on complex human resources procedures and processes on the basis of existing guidance.
- Prepares submissions to the Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance requesting guidance on cases requiring exceptional policy clarification.
- Keeps abreast of the latest changes in human resources policies in order to be able to correctly advise client entities seeking guidance.
- Reviews and provides advice on exceptions to policies, regulations, and rules.
- Analyzes client entities by researching their specific composition, needs, and capacity and recommends appropriate tools to capture and report on such information.
- Researches and prepares background documents related to specific entities, as required.
- Participates in project teams for the provision of customized, entity-specific operational support for the development and implementation of human resources strategies, providing advice, recommendations, and information on human resources matters, as appropriate, to the individual needs of the entity.
- Supports entities in the development and implementation of entity-specific operational workforce planning strategies and associated recruitment plans.
- Provides support to cross-Service projects aimed at developing entity-specific human resources strategies.
Business Process Improvement
- Contributes to global HR innovation and process improvement projects.
- Recommends which business processes require streamlining or simplification.
- Provides advice in relation to the interpretation of Staff Rules and Regulations in connection with new processes or guidance documents developed by the Division or the Department and initiates requests for policy clarifications or amendments from the Department of Management Strategy, Policy, and Compliance.
Capacity-Building and Knowledge Management
- Contributes to the development of internal capacity within the Division by identifying knowledge gaps based on requests received for advisory services from client entities and making recommendations for the development of templated responses for inclusion in the centralized knowledge management repository.
- Develops policy-related process guides, FAQs, guidance packages, and Standard Operating Procedures by researching applicable Staff Rules and Regulations and HR policies.
- Conducts internal and external briefings on guidance material developed.
- Identifies the priorities of internal and external capacity-building and knowledge management needs in the human resources community by observing trends in the types and number of queries received and by discussing them in regular meetings with supervisors and colleagues.
- Provides inputs to policy papers, position papers and briefing notes.
- Serves as ex-officio and interview panels in YPP interviews and Generic Job Opening rostering exercises.
- Supervises and monitors the work of Human Resources Assistants.
- Trains and provides guidance to new staff.
You might also appreciate, 2023 Human Resources Officer in USA (United Nations)
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management, administration or related area is required.
- A minimum of two years of experience in an international organization advising clients on the interpretation and implementation of staff regulations and rules, human resources policies, guidelines, or process guides is required.
- A minimum of one year of experience in an international organization contributing to the formulation of new policies, standards, procedures or guidelines in the area of human resources is required.
- A minimum of two years of experience in an international organization in the direct provision of human resources services is desirable.
- A minimum of two years of experience in an international organization supporting business process improvements of human resources procedures is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!