UN Legal Officer Internship at Vienna, Austria
Legal Officer Internship position is located within the International Trade Law Division (ITLD), Office of Legal Affairs (OLA), which serves as a substantive Secretariat to the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) and is based in Vienna. The incumbent reports to a Senior Legal Officer as first reporting Officer, and to the Director of the Division as second reporting Officer.
Within assigned authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Conduct extensive legal research and analysis and prepare studies, including comparative studies, on international trade law and investment law issues, as well as briefs, reports and correspondence.
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of background papers, legislative texts and commentaries on those texts; also prepare or assist in the preparation of teaching materials in the field of international trade law, investment law and private international law.
- Service or assist senior colleagues in servicing UNCITRAL sessions and act as secretary or assistant secretary of UNCITRAL’s subsidiary bodies or of committees of a diplomatic conference; prepare portions of draft reports for adoption at the conclusion of Commission and working group sessions.
- Service or assist senior colleagues in organizing and servicing informal sessions and in preparing portions of draft reports.
- Assist the Senior Legal Officer heading the Technical Assistance Unit, as required, in the development and delivery of programmes of legal technical assistance and capacity-building in the understanding and use of UNCITRAL texts.
- Prepare or assist with the preparation of international trade law seminars and symposia and lecture on various legal issues at such events.
- Collect and analyze data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned.
Recommendations: Regional Energy Specialist Internship for UNDP
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in law, with specialization in commercial, comparative or private international law is required. A first-level university degree in similar fields like commercial, comparative or private international law in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible professional experience in commercial law, comparative law, international trade law or a related field, including several years at the international level is required.
- Experience with policies, procedures and operations of the United Nations system or a similar international organization is desirable.
- Experience with legal technical assistance programmes is desirable.
- Experience in investment law is desirable.
- Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Fluency in French is desirable. Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an advantage.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.
Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
For more information, United Nations