(UN) Security Coordination Officer Internship in New York, USA
(UN) Security Coordination Officer position is located in the Protection Coordination Unit in the Division of Partnership and Specialized Support. This position is considered rotational and staff members are normally required to move geographically to different duty stations under conditions established in ST/AI/2023/3 on Mobility, as may be amended or revised.
Under the supervision and direction of the Chief of Protection Coordination Unit (PCU) or his/her/their designate, the incumbent performs the following functions:
1. Contributes to the effective delivery of the mandate of the Protection Coordination Unit.
- Performs functions to ensure the effective and efficient coordination of close protection services worldwide.
- Contributes to achieving the overall goals of the unit.
- Makes recommendations and participates in the implementation of the unit strategic goals.
- Makes recommendations to the unit’s work plan and performs assigned tasks in a timely manner and within the established timelines.
- Ensures operational coordination of protective operations deployed in support of the key Senior United Nations Officials, as assigned.
- Assists in determining the requirement of close protection measures and makes recommendations on operational coordination and support.
2. Monitors and Coordinates assigned close protection operations.
- Maintains technical lines of communication and coordination with Senior Security Professionals, their deputies and Close Protection Coordination Officers in UN Duty Stations where Close Protection assets are deployed.
- Assists in overseeing and coordinating the deployment of close protection assets in assigned areas and develops and maintains the effective monitoring of close protection operations.
- Liaises and coordinates with focal points in UN entities in the preparation of personal protection profiles for senior UN officials (SUNO) and ensures they are maintained, accurate and up-to-date.
- Reviews preventive and mitigating measures recommended by the security risk management processes conducted for field based or traveling Senior United Nations Officials.
- Liaises with Member States’ law enforcement agencies in order to ensure effective security arrangements as directed.
- Coordinates the close protection of senior UN officials (SUNO) assessed to be at potential or actual risk.
- Coordinates the monitoring and oversight of the travel of SUNOs as it relates to their security.
- Participates as assigned in regional workshops to advise and brief participants on the global or regional planning and coordination of the protective operations.
- Liaises with expert institutions and organizations in the field of close protection in order to keep abreast of innovations and best practices.
- Gathers information and supports the maintenance of an accurate database of all UN Protective Services assets.
- Participates as a subject matter expert in recruitment campaigns designed to populate the rosters for close protection coordinators and operators.
- Performs other assignments as required.
you may like, Environmental and Social Development Specialist in Indonesia
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in security management, public administration, policy, political/social science, international relations or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of experience in the management of close protection operations and assets may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- UNDSS Certification in the Security Certification Programme (SCP) and/or Close Protection Officers Course (CPOC) is desirable.
- Completion of an international, national or commercial close protection training is desirable.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in Close Protection in a governmental, intergovernmental, military or police context, is required.
- A minimum of 3 years coordination or supervisory experience in close protection operational management, including at least 1 year in a conflict and post-conflict environment, is required.
- A minimum of 2 years close protection experience at the international level is required.
- Experience in coordinating and liaising with multiple stakeholders in planning and organizing protective operations deployed in conflict or post-conflict environment, is desirable.
- Experience in the developing of standards for protective services is desirable.
- Experience in operational support of protective operations is desirable.
- Experience in the use of recent technologies in the planning and implementation of close protection operations is desirable.
- Experience in procurement and administrative processes in the United Nations common system or similar international organization is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
NOTE: ”Fluency” equals a rating of ”fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ”Knowledge of” equals a rating of ”confident” in two of the four areas.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview
Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!