British Council calls for New Narratives Youth Advisory Board. New Narrative is a programme which aims to foster deeper and more meaningful people-to-people engagements between young people across the countries of Africa and the UK, through a suite of digital storytelling and collaboration programmes, in sectors of mutual interest. The programme aims to help contribute to changing reciprocal perceptions between both places in order to stimulate new understanding which will unlock new connections and collaborations for mutual benefit.
- Diversity: This program will amplify and support narratives that demonstrate the diverse realities across the countries of Africa and the UK prioritizing race/ethnicity, gender, social class, and language.
- Mutuality: Reciprocity and peer to peer engagement among young people will be prioritised in our approach to developing new pilots and other strands of the programme.
- Cocreation: The programme will use a ‘Nothing About Us Without Us’ approach and engage; and listen to young people at all stages of the programme.
- Partnerships: This Will be at the heart of the delivery model and a range of partnerships –delivery, co-funding, technical partnerships will be explored and secured.
Responsibilities will include:
- Providing advice support and challenge to the British Council regarding the design of the program and wider British Council approaches to youth engagement, cultural intelligence and sensitivity.
- Providing insight and intelligence on youth perceptions, interests, and needs to ensure the program remains relevant to and incorporates the voice of the youth.
- Represent New Narratives externally as required.\
Applicants must be from the following eligible countries:
- East Africa: Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda.
- Southern Africa: Botswana, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- North Africa: Algeria, Egypt, Lybia, Morocco, Tunisia.
- West Africa: Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone.
- United Kingdom: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales.
British Council New Narratives Youth Advisory Board is for young people (age 18-35) who
- Are influential in their communities as artists, activists, academics, entrepreneurs, influencers or technologists (etc).
- Have significant online and offline networks that can be reached with learning and content from the programme.
- Are passionate about creating or deepening international connections and collaboration particularly between the continent of Africa and the UK.
- Have demonstrable experience in leadership and/or advisory roles of programmes or organizations.
- Are willing to engage long term with the British Council and Africa-UK New Narratives network.