Applications are open for T-Mobile Foundation and Ashoka Changemaker Challenge 2021. This is a nationwide contest that offers youth with innovative ideas around creating connected, Sustainable and Informed Communities the opportunity to receive seed funding and mentorship. Youth ages 13 to 18 can apply for the opportunity to receive seed funding and one of 15 spots at the Changemaker Lab at T-Mobile HQ later this year to support their innovative ideas focused on Technology, the Environment or Education. Over the program’s three years, T-Mobile and the T-Mobile Foundation will have invested nearly $1M in Changemaker Challenge projects and mentorship opportunities.
The third Changemaker Challenge, a nationwide contest that gives trailblazing young leaders the opportunity to take their ideas on how to build more connected, sustainable and informed communities to the next level, launched today by T-Mobile, the T-Mobile Foundation and Ashoka. Now through April 8, 2021, youth ages 13 to 18 with bold ideas focused on Technology, the Environment or Education can enter the challenge. T-Mobile leaders will select 15 winners to receive up to $15,000 in seed funding and the opportunity to participate in the three-day Changemaker Lab later this year. Including this third year of support, T-Mobile and the T-Mobile Foundation have invested nearly $1M in seed funding and mentorship for the changemakers.
How does it work?
- Through April 8, youth can enter the Challenge at the Changemaker Challenge contest website.
- Teams who enter prior to March 4 have the chance to receive one $2,000 early deadline seed money award. All entries submitted by March 4 will get feedback on how to improve their application so they can resubmit by the final April 8 deadline.
- In May, the top 15 teams – five from each of the three categories (Technology, the Environment and Education) – will be named and each team will receive $5,000 in seed funding. They will also get an all-expenses-paid trip to T-Mobile’s headquarters later in 2021 for the Changemaker Lab (pending CDC COVID-19 safety recommendations) that will give teams three days of immersive experiences, including mentorship from T-Mobile executives, skills training from Ashoka and networking opportunities with other teams.
- From the top 15 teams, the best in each category – three teams – will receive an additional $5,000 in seed funding and the chance to pitch their projects to T-Mobile senior leaders.
- One will be selected as the Grand Prize Winner and will receive another $5,000, plus a 1:1 meeting with a T-Mobile leader for additional guidance on how they can grow their venture. The winning team will receive a total of $15,000 in seed money!
- Open to any young person between the ages of 13 and 18 in the USA, including Puerto Rico.
- Two participants of eligible ages (plus ONE chaperone if any participant is under 18) per winning team will travel for the Changemaker Lab.
- One application per initiative and per person will be accepted.
- Previous winners from the Changemaker Challenge 2018 and 2019 are not eligible. If you applied last year and were not of the winning teams, you can re-apply.
- Applications must be submitted in English.