Applications call for ACIAR Pacific Agriculture Scholarships and Support Program. ACIAR has supported postgraduate research study by providing scholarships in agriculture and fisheries at the University of the South Pacific. These scholarships have achieved significant results and strengthened the agricultural innovation system in the Pacific.
Following a review, a new expanded Pacific Agriculture Scholarship Support Program 2020-23 was designed. Scholarships continue with the University of the South Pacific but expand to include Fiji National University. An academic support program will complete the Program. Support will focus on strengthening student links with an ACIAR research project and Australian co-supervisor along with professional development, focusing on higher degree research supervision and peer to peer learning for University of the South Pacific and Fiji National University academic staff.
- ACIAR’s aim, based on its on-the-ground successes, has been to support Pacific students to undertake applied agricultural research at selected Pacific universities, thereby benefiting the agricultural research capacity of the student, the university, and the country of origin.
- This approach purposefully builds the capacity of the agricultural research system in the Pacific and fosters deeper partnerships between the Pacific and Australia.
- The new program will be a significant building block of ACIAR’s Pacific Strategy, and in turn, a contribution to the broader ‘Step Up’ in the Pacific.
Priority Research Areas
- Soil fertility, and integrated management of water resources and wastewater.
- Aquaculture and horticulture products for improved nutrition.
- Agribusiness, including post-harvest management and food processing.
- Gender equity and women’s engagement in Pacific agriculture.
- Coconut-based systems for economic, social, and environmental resilience.
- Forestry and agroforestry as contributors to agricultural practices that address climate change for sustainable livelihoods.
- ‘One Health’ approaches (integrating human, animal, and environmental health) and biosecurity (for the crop, livestock, and environmental health).
Scholarship Criteria and Outline
- Up to eight MSc postgraduate research scholarships at the University of the South Pacific (USP).
- Up to three MSc postgraduate research scholarships at Fiji National University (FNU).
- Applicants must be from Fiji, Kiribati, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, or Vanuatu.
- Up to two PhDs at USP open to citizens of Fiji, Kiribati, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu.
- Two Ph.D. upgrades will be a faculty staff at FNU College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries.
- Scholarships are aligned to ACIAR’s applied research projects co-supervision by an international scientist.
- Suggested thesis research questions related to the ACIAR research project research grants to enable students to complete their research.
- Work experience placements linked to a private sector partner, NGO or government agency aligned to student’s field of study.
- Funds for scholars to present their research at an international conference.
Scholarships at University of the South Pacific
Apply online here
Scholarships at Fiji National University
Apply online here