Applications call for ADB-JSP Scholarship Program at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (UHM). The Asian Development Bank – Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP) provides support for Master’s degree study in ADB-JSP approved fields of study at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (UHM), and for participation in the educational, residential, and leadership development programs at the East-West Center (EWC).
ADB-JSP is a scholarship program that was established to strengthen human resource capacity in the Asian Development Bank developing member countries. After completing their studies, scholars are expected to return to their home countries to apply and share their new knowledge and skills to promote socioeconomic development.
The basic eligibility requirements for the ADB-JSP scholarship at the East-West Center in the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa are as follows. Applicants must:
- Be a citizen and current resident of a developing member country of the Asian Development Bank and not more than 35 years old at the time of application.
- Have a 4-year bachelor’s degree or the equivalent of a 4-year Bachelor’s degree, at the time of application. (An equivalent could be a 3-year Bachelor’s degree plus a 1-year Master’s degree, or a 2-year bachelor’s degree plus a 2-year Master’s degree. This is subject to review.)
- Have at least 2 years of full-time professional work experience after a university degree at the time of application.
- Take one of the English proficiency tests; the minimum acceptable scores are 550 for the paper-based TOEFL; 213 for the computer-based TOEFL; and 79-80 for the internet-based TOEFL iBT; or 6.5 for the IELTS. Results must be taken from a test within the past two years.
Applicants with the following experience are not eligible for the ADB-JSP Scholarship:
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his/her home country are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants who have previously studied abroad, or who are seeking a second master’s degree are not eligible to apply.
Eligibility Program of Study
The following are eligible Master’s degree programs that are funded by ADB-JSP at the East-West Center. Standardized examinations that are required of applicants are listed next to each program along with the requesting institution in parentheses.
- Business Administration (Global MBA): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM); GMAT (UHM only)
- Economics (MA): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM); GRE (UHM only)
- Geography (MA): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM); GRE (UHM only)
- Natural Resources and Environmental Management (MS): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM); GRE (UHM only)
- Ocean and Resources Engineering (MS): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM); GRE (UHM only)
- Oceanography (MS): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM); GRE (UHM only)
- Pacific Islands Studies (MA): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM)
- Public Administration (MPA): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM)
- Sociology (MA): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM); GRE (UHM only)
- Tropical Plant and Soil Sciences (MS): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM); GRE (UHM only)
- Urban and Regional Planning (MURP): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM)