The applications for the African Writers Trust Publishing Fellowship Program have opened. Interested candidates can apply until 16th February 2020.
- The Publishing Fellowship program was designed to create a step-change in the book sector in Africa, by focusing on professional development of upcoming talent in African publishing over three years (2018-2021).
- The overall objective of the program is to facilitate the sharing of knowledge, skills, expertise, experiences and collaborative learning between the more experienced publishers and the early career and emerging ones.
Scopes of the program
- The African Writers trust will deliver the program at two levels
Mentoring and Training Workshop
The Mentoring and Training workshop will be held in Uganda from 8th to 14th March 2020. The workshop will consist of a variety of sessions including:
- What you need to know before getting into self-publishing
- Also, how to make money out of your writing/publishing?
- Understanding the legal aspects surrounding writing and publishing
- Furthermore, how do you choose a book cover that tells your story?
- as well as seed funding
At the end of the workshop, the organizer invites all fellows to make an application for the seed funding budget worth EURO 4,200.
The specific aim of the seed funding budget is to ensure that the winning project gets the resources it requires to produce a model publication that adheres to acceptable international publishing standards. Also, a model to which other publishers can aspire to and learn from. Moreover, the winner should publish the book within the prescribed timelines.
The candidates attending the Trust Publishing Fellowship Program will receive the following advantages
- They will get an opportunity for mutual learning from publishing experts.
- Also, the candidates will get to network with other emerging publishers and writers.
- Furthermore, they will be able to engage with peers and trainers on a one-to-one.
- The organizer will cover the air travel expenses for the successful candidates
- Also, the accommodation and meal expenses for the successful candidates will be provided for the duration of the workshop.
- Additionally, out of Pocket allowance will not be provided.
The applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the fellowship program
- The successful candidates MUST have an on-going project in the form of a manuscript which they are developing for publication.
- Also, they must be committed, enthusiastic, and looking to further their skills and experience in the book industry.
- Additionally, they can be early career and emerging publishers.
- as well as self-publishing creative writers
- Or, individuals working in the publishing industry.
For additional details, visit the official website.