The applications for the Amgen Scholars Canada Program for the year 2020/21 have opened. I9nterested candidates can apply until 3rd February 2020.
The Amgen Scholars Canada Program is an immersive, 10-week program of research experience, professional development, and social activities.
- Conducting research in the laboratory of a leading U of T faculty mentor
- Also, the Distinguished Scientist Seminar series
- Likewise, laboratory journal clubs
- Program capstone research day oral or poster presentation
- Additionally, participation in the National Amgen Scholars Program Symposium in California
Professional development – workshops and seminars on:
- Science communication, oral and written
- Life as a scientist
- Science career exploration
- Graduate school preparation with graduate coordinators
- A welcome event
- Additionally, a day trip to Niagara Falls
- Also, a variety of quintessential Toronto activities, such as a Toronto Blue Jays baseball game, an escape room at Casa Loma, an evening
- A visit to the Art Gallery of Ontario, the CN Tower and Skywalk, Canada Day celebrations and a visit to the Toronto Islands
- Scholar-led activities
The successful candidates will receive the following advantages from the Amgen Scholars Canada Program
- They will get an opportunity to work with world-renowned researchers
- Also, the applicants will have hands-on laboratory research experience
- Additionally, they will receive a $5,000 CAD stipend
- Likewise, accommodation at New College on the historic University of Toronto St. George campus
- They will also get paid travel expenses to and from Toronto for the program
- Moreover, all expenses paid participation in the National Amgen Scholars Program Symposium in California in July
- Additional benefits include participation in career development events, social activities and sightseeing in Toronto and Ontario and access to the University of Toronto libraries, lectures and more.
The candidates must meet the following requirements
- They must be currently enrolled at an accredited university in Canada as a second, third or non-graduating fourth-year undergraduate student
- Also, they should be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Additionally, they must have an interest in pursuing an M.Sc., Ph.D. or an M.D./Ph.D.
- Furthermore, they require a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.2 (on a 4.0 scale)
The candidates must fulfill the following expectations as Amgen Scholars
- Full-time participation in the 10 continuous weeks of the research experience (1 June – 7 August 2020)
- Also, join in laboratory events such as lab meetings and department lectures
- Attend social and professional development events as required by the program
- In addition to that, participate in the Amgen Scholars launch party and capstone symposium
- Attend the National Amgen Scholars Program Symposium in California in July
- Likewise, live in the campus accommodations at New College on campus in vibrant downtown Toronto
- Furthermore, complete Amgen Scholars Program evaluations
Interested candidates can visit the official website for further details.