Application Open For UK Permanent Residence 2021/2022
You can no longer apply for a UK residence card. If you already have a card, it will not be valid after 30 June 2021.
If you applied for a UK residence card before 1 January 2021, you will get a decision on your application within 6 months.
Living in the UK after 30 June 2021
You can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you:
- are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and you were living in the UK by 31 December 2020
- are a close family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, and you were both living in the UK by 31 December 2020
- are an ‘extended’ family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and you have a UK residence card, or you applied for one by 31 December 2020
- are the family member of a British citizen – you must have lived with them in the EU, EEA or Switzerland, and they must have been working, studying or self-sufficient in the country
- have ‘retained rights of residence’ – for example if you were previously married to an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and you were living in the UK by 31 December 2020
Applications for the EU Settlement Scheme usually close on 30 June 2021. You might be able to apply later if both of the following apply:
- you’re a close family member or unmarried partner of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen who is already living in the UK
- you’re applying to join them in the UK
If you want to move to the UK on or after 1 January 2021, check if you need a UK visa.
If you already have a residence card
Until 30 June 2021, you can still use your card to:
- help you re-enter the country more quickly and easily if you travel abroad
- show employers you’re allowed to work in the UK
- help prove you qualify for certain benefits and services