The Government of Japan and the Asian Development Bank offer the Asian Development Bank Japan Scholarship Program 2020 at the University of Tokyo Graduate School of Frontier Science. The scholarships aim to provide opportunity citizens of ADB’s developing member countries to pursue postgraduate studies. This scholarship provides an opportunity for well-qualified citizens of ADB’s developing member countries to undertake postgraduate studies in economics, management, science and technology, and other development-related fields at participating academic institutions in the Asian and Pacific Region.
Fields of Study
The scholarships are available for the student undertaking the study in the following department at the University of Tokyo Graduate School of Frontier Science.
- Department of Natural Environmental Studies
- Department of Ocean Technology, Policy, and Environment
- Department of Environment Systems
- Department of Human and Engineered Environmental Studies
- Department of Socio-cultural Environmental Studies
- Department of International Studies
- Graduate Program in Sustainability Science
The Asian Development Bank Japan Scholarship Program 2020 provides
- Full tuition fees
- A monthly subsistence and housing allowance
- An allowance for books and instructional materials
- Medical insurance
- Travel expenses
- A national of an ADB borrowing member and Japanese ODA scholarship eligible country listed here.
- Gained admission to an approved MA course at an academic institution.
- A bachelor’s degree or it’s equivalent with a superior academic record.
- At least two (2) years of full-time professional working experience (acquired after a university degree) at the time of application. Proficiency in oral and written English communication skills to be able to pursue studies.
- Not more than 35 years old at the time of application. In exceptional cases, for programs that are appropriate for senior officials and managers, the age limit is 45 years old.
- Good health.
- Should agree to return to his/her home country after completion of studies under the Program.
- Executive Directors, Alternate Directors, management and staff of ADB, consultants, and close relatives of the aforementioned are not eligible for the Scholarship.
- The staff of ADB–JSP designated institutions are not eligible for the Scholarship.
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his/her home country are not eligible for scholarships.
- ADB–JSP does not support applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs.
- ADB–JSP does not sponsor undergraduate studies, distance learning programs, short-term training, conferences, seminars, thesis writing, and research projects.
See the ADB-JSP website for more information.