Coimbra Group Universities have been providing, since 2008, young researchers from universities in Sub-Saharan Africa with the opportunity to spend a short period (generally 1 to 3 months) at a Coimbra Group University to carry out part of their research there.
Applicants should be:
- born on or after 1 January 1974
- nationals of and current residents in a country in Sub-Saharan Africa
- current staff members of a university or an equivalent higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa
- of doctoral/postdoctoral or equivalent status.
- Eligible countries: all African countries except Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, and Tunisia (applicants from these countries are eligible under the Scholarship Programme for Young Researchers from the European Neighbourhood).
- Applicants should provide the name and contact details of an academic supervisor in the receiving Coimbra Group University who will supervise their work during their stay abroad. If they do not have any contacts, Coimbra Group suggests them visit the website of their chosen institution or get in touch with the contact person whose email address is indicated in the brochure. The Coimbra Group Office is not in the position to provide assistance in this.
- All applicants are requested to provide a letter/e-mail of acceptance (to be submitted together with their application) written by the head of the academic supervisor or administrative unit of the host university where they would like to carry out the proposed working plan. The letter should state that the supervisor is willing to work with them in case they obtain a Coimbra Group Scholarship.
- Applicants can select one institution only. Multiple applications from the same candidate will be rejected.
- Please fill in application form only when applicants have all the data available (i.e. name of and letter of acceptance by supervisor at Coimbra Group University, etc.). Incomplete applications will be rejected, no exceptions will be made.
- The dates of applicants stay should be agreed upon between the applicant and the academic supervisor at the Coimbra Group University. Typically this will be during the academic year 2019/2020.