Dates for the 2017 Program
The dates for the 2017 Draper Hills Summer Fellows Program are Sunday, July 16- Friday, August 4, 2017. Applicants are required to participate the entire duration of the fellowship program at Stanford University. They must be sure that they can be absent from their professional obligations during that time and must make a commitment to attend the full program upon acceptance.
We thank you for your interest in applying to the 2017 Draper Hills Summer Fellows Program at Stanford University’s Center on Democracy, Development, and the Rule of Law. In order to apply to the Draper Hills Summer Fellows Program please create an account through our online portal
. The application form is available once you login in and will be available through the deadline, Wednesday, November 16, 2016
. Due to the volume of applications, we strongly suggest that you submit the application form as soon as possible. You will be asked to contact two references to furnish letters of recommendation to support your candidacy to the program. A complete application package will be due no later than Wednesday, November 16, 2016
The guidelines packet is a valuable resource and outlines the application process in detail. Please review this document carefully before applying to the program.
Click here to view a PDF of the application guidelines.
Due to the large volume of applications we receive each year to the fellowship program, we take our selection criteria very seriously. Please review the criteria below very carefully before submitting your application to the program. If you do not meet these criteria your application will not be reviewed.
- This is not an academic fellowship but meant for practitioners only. We value practical experience over academic credentials, and we admit scholars only to the extent that they are active in government, public policy, civil society, economic development and rule of law. They should hold leadership roles in their respective sector.
- Applicants must be mid-career practitioners and have at least ten to 12 years of experience to qualify for the fellowship. Those with more experience are much more competitive in the selection process.
- Candidates must be from and currently reside in a country where democracy is not well entrenched. Candidates residing outside their home country due to war or conflict may be granted exceptions. Applicants will not be accepted from countries such as: the U.S., Canada, Australia, Japan, and member states of the European Union.
- Candidates must be at least 28 years of age at the start of the fellowship in July 2017. The average age of our fellows at the time of the program is 38.
- Candidates must be actively working in the field of democracy, development, and the rule of law. We do not accept candidates who are in the midst of full-time university degree programs.
- Candidates must have a solid command of written and spoken English. All program materials and sessions are in English. Participants will also be required to give 9-minute TED-style talks throughout the three-week program regarding their work and motivation. English language proficiency is very important in order to benefit and contribute to the program dialogue.
Official Link: http://cddrl.fsi.stanford.edu/summerfellows/docs/apply_dhsfp
Deadline: November 16, 2016.