Applications are open for the BeitTrust Postgraduate Scholarships 2022/23. The Trust provides a limited number of Postgraduate Scholarships in relevant courses for deserving Malawian, Zambian, and Zimbabwean scholars to study at the UK and South African universities.
Scholarships are taken up at a university in the United Kingdom or South Africa, for study in a subject of the individual’s choice appropriate to the needs of the beneficial area.
Financial Benefit Provided by BeitTrust Postgraduate Scholarships 2022/23
- Fees, tuition costs, and related academic expenses. The Trust directly pays to the Partner Universities.
- A personal allowance and index-linked in accordance with guidance from an independent authority as it covers maintenance support.
- Other allowances are paid for arrival, a laptop, and departure.
- Economy Class tickets are provided for the initial journey to the place of study and on the final return.
- No allowances are paid for spouses and other family members or dependants.
- Furthermore, the trust will also address any expenses that may arise in 2022/23 as a result of residual COVID protocols.
Eligibility Criteria for BeitTrust Postgraduate Scholarships
- By Act of Parliament, the Beit Trust supports ONLY students who are nationals of Zambia, Zimbabwe, or Malawi, who hold permanent residence, live there, and/or intend to return to their country after their studies.
- Applicants (except medical and veterinary doctors) must be under 30 years of age on December 31, 2021. After completion of a first-degree relevant experience of work is strongly recommended and will count towards the award of a scholarship.
- Doctors and Vets must be under 35 years of age on December 31, 2021. They should have completed 18 months of internship, and a one-year, preferably rural, posting in Zambia, Zimbabwe, or Malawi.
- The Trust cannot consider applications from those who have already begun a course.
- Furthermore, the Trust will only consider applicants with First Class/Distinction or Upper Second Class degrees (or equivalent) at the undergraduate level.
Beit Joint University Partnerships
The Beit Trust has partnership agreements with the universities below. This enables the Trust to share costs and to increase the number of scholarships it can fund. For this reason, only applicants with acceptances from the universities listed below will be eligible for Beit Trust Scholarships. Applicants must first apply to and are accepted by, a Beit Partner University before applying to the Trust for a scholarship.
Similarly, the universities offer a one-year taught Master’s in the UK, and a two-year taught Masters in South Africa. Both have a research dimension and the applicant must have obtained Honours (First or Upper Second or equivalent) at the undergraduate level.
Together with, there are seven Partner Universities in the United Kingdom:
- Glasgow: Bio-medical disciplines only
- Blavatnik School of Government, Oxford
- St Andrews: Computer science only
- Strathclyde: Engineering disciplines only
Lastly, Currently, three Partner Universities in South Africa are:
- University of Cape Town (UCT)
You have to upload the following documents with your application:
- A signed Medical Certificate Form from your doctor because it is necessary before beginning the application process is below. Download the Medical Certificate Form
- A copy of your offer letter from a UK Partner University and a PDF document detailing the university as well as the course you will apply to at South African Partner University.
- Degree results (incl. certificates of importance) as well as curriculum vitae (CV).
- A personal statement (no longer than 500 words) to explain in your own words how you think a postgraduate degree will benefit your country and its development.
- A clear recent photograph of yourself: not a passport photo, but something that shows you to your best advantage.
- Additionally, a clear copy of your valid passport, showing the date of issue and expiry. Because, it ensures it is valid for the duration of your proposed studies, and that sufficient blank pages are available to accommodate visa and travel stamp requirements.
Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!