Fully Funded Fellowship available in Japan for research.
Upon the concept of the founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”, MIF has been organizing the Research Fellowship Program since 1980. The Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) is a nongovernmental organization whose fund is solely based on donations from many Japanese people who have responded to the goodwill of Dr. Shigeyoshi MATSUMAE’s call.
Eligibility for the Fellowship
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents.
- The applicants must obtain a Letter of Invitation from host institutions in Japan.
- Applicants must hold a PH.D. (Doctorate) degree, or equivalent academic qualifications according to MIF.
- Similarly, applicants must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time of submission.
- Applicants must have sufficient abilities in the English or Japanese languages.
- Likewise, applicants should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan. (Except for short-term stay. E.g. sightseeing, conferences)
- Applicants should be in employment in their home countries, and must return to their countries upon completion of their MIF fellowship tenure.
- Above all, allowance for research and stay
- Also, air Transportation
- Start-up fund upon arrival
Fields of Study
Fields of research such as natural science, engineering as well as medicine are first priorities.
Applicants indicate the period of Fellowship with the length of stay needed for the Research Project (Application Document #2) between 3 to 6 months, and commencing month and ending month between April 2020 and March 2021. (e.g. 5 months from June 2020 to October 2020)
MIF plans to invite more or less 20 researchers/scholars.
Applicants are free to select host institutions (for instance, university research laboratories, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities of private industry).
- Applicants should obtain the current issue of the Fellowship Announcement from MIF. Or download the announcement from the MIF’s website and print out the Application Form in PDF-format or MS Word file.
- MIF cannot entertain requests for waivers of the eligibility requirements and other conditions, listed in the Fellowship Announcement, and will not accommodate such requests.
- Also, submission of applications should be from the applicant’s home country. MIF accepts those submitted by POST. Those applications submitted electronically or via facsimile will be unacceptable.
- Applications must be received by MIF by 17:00 on July 31, 2019 (Japan Standard Time).
- Moreover, all of the following documents should be in A4 size and be submitted all together in one package by postal mail.
- Furthermore, all documents must be typed. Documents must be written in English and in English only.
Documents to be Submitted
- Application Form
- Above all, the Research Project
- A reprint of the most significant publication by the applicant
- In addition, personal History (Curriculum Vitae)
- A letter of recommendation by the applicant’s employer, printed out on the home institution’s letter head
- Also, certified copies for all the academic certificates/diplomas (for Ph.D., MA/MS/MD, BA/BS) issued by the relevant institutions
- Furthermore, a letter of invitation signed by the professor/scholar-in-charge at the host institution, printed out on the host institution’s letter head
Please send the documents to the following mailing address
The Matsumae International Foundation 4-14-46, Kamiogi, Suginami-ku, Tokyo, 167-0043 JAPAN Tel : + 81-3-3301-7600