The Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists is now accepting applications from professional journalists for its 2019 fellowship program.
Applicants must demonstrate an interest in and commitment to international affairs and to conveying a better understanding of the United Nations to their readers and audiences. They must also have approval from their media organizations to spend up to three months in New York to report from the United Nations.
In an effort to rotate recipient countries, the Fund will not consider journalist applications for 2019 from nations of the 2018 selected program participants: Argentina, India, Kenya and Yemen.
Four journalists are selected each year after a review of all applications. The journalists who are awarded fellowships are given the incomparable opportunity to observe international diplomatic deliberations at the United Nations, to make professional contacts that will serve them for years to come, to interact with seasoned journalists from around the world, and to gain a broader perspective and understanding of matters of global concern. Many past fellows have risen to prominence in their professional and countries. The program is not intended to provide basic skills training to journalists; all participants are media professionals.
The Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists fellowships are open to individuals who:
Please include all of the following documents with signed application. Applications WITHOUT the following documents will NOT be considered.
1. Copies of representative selections of your work, such as newspaper clippings, audio tapes, video tapes or internet submissions. The selections must be work produced in 2018 or 2019 — not earlier. Entries with insight and originality will be considered most favorably. Investigative work is welcome.
Applicants do not have to write reports in English. French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese and Russian are acceptable. For newspaper clippings not in English, include an English translation or summary.
If the reports you wish to submit with your application are posted on the Internet, please provide the url addresses.
2. Signed letters from two individuals who supervised you and can comment on your journalism experience and qualifications.
3. Endorsement of the Fellowship application from the editor or director of the news organization that presently employs you. This endorsement must be originally signed and should:
4. Summary statement. On a separate sheet of paper, explain in not less than 300 words why you are applying for this Fellowship and what you expect to gain from the experience.
5. Two recent photographs (passport size or larger). Place these photos in a separate secure envelope and affix them to the front of your application. Do not staple the photos directly to the application form.
6. A copy of your passport. Applications without a passport will NOT be considered.
|Type of Opportunity||Scholarships and Fellowships|
|Open to||Africa, Asia (including Pacific Island nations), Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Organizer||Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists|
|Contact the organizer||http://unjournalismfellowship.org/about-the-fund/contact-us/|