Fully Funded OWSD PhD Fellowships 2019 for Women Scientists from Science and Technology Lagging Countries is available for application. The fellowships provide an opportunity to undertake PhD research in the Natural, Engineering and Information Technology sciences at a host institute in the South. The general purpose of the fellowship programme is to contribute to the emergence of a new generation of women leaders in science and technology, and to promote their effective participation in the scientific as well as technological development of their countries.
The OWSD fellowship covers:
- A monthly allowance to cover basic living expenses such as accommodation and meals while in the host country
- A special allowance to attend international conferences during the period of the fellowship
- A return ticket from the home country to the host institute for the agreed research period
- Visa expenses
- Also, annual medical insurance contribution
- The opportunity to attend regional science communications workshops, on a competitive basis
- Study fees (including tuition and registration fees) in agreement with the chosen host institute which is also expected to contribute
- Candidates must confirm that they intend to return to their home country as soon as possible after completion of the fellowship.
- Likewise, candidates should be from Eligible Countries.
- Eligible fields of study include Agricultural Sciences, Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences, Biological Systems and Organisms, Chemical Sciences, Computing and Information Technology, Engineering Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Medical and Health Sciences, Neurosciences, Physics, and also Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- The minimum qualification is an MSc degree in one of the above listed study fields.
In order to apply, you need to submit
- PhD research proposal outline
- Degree certificates and transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae
- Preliminary acceptance letter
- Moreover, letter of commitment
- Reference letters
- Supporting statement from home supervisor
The fellowships are highly competitive and selection is based on scientific competence and merit. The candidate’s project proposal is given particular attention.