At UM-Flint, they want students to focus on starting their university experience strong—not on how they’ll pay for college. Available for first-time freshmen coming out of high school, UM-Flint new Freshmen Merit Scholarship program offers more funding for students with a strong academic record and a desire to excel.
Freshmen Merit Scholarships simplify the process of applying for and receiving awards, with:
- No separate application to fill out—first-time freshmen are automatically considered for Freshmen Merit Scholarships when they apply to UM-Flint.
- Immediate eligibility to receive scholarship funds for up to four years, for qualifying incoming freshmen who meet the minimum guidelines.
- Instant information on which scholarship amount applicants qualify for—no waiting for an answer.
- Annual award amounts ranging from $3,000 to $7,000, with a limited number of full in-state tuition/fees scholarships available.
Full In-State Tuition/Fees Merit Scholarships
Full in-state tuition/fees merit scholarships (covering full time resident,in-state tuition and fees) are awarded to 10 attendees of the UM-Flint Scholarship Competition. The Competition is held annually (at a date to be determined) and is by invitation-only. To qualify for consideration for the Competition student must have a complete admission application by December 1st. Applicants meeting Honors Program qualifications (3.7+ GPA and 27+ ACT/1260+ SAT) are most likely to receive an invitation.
Eligibility and Qualifications
- Available to first-time freshmen coming from high school, Freshmen Merit Scholarships are awarded automatically based on their cumulative high school grade point averages as well as ACT and/or SAT test scores at application.
- The minimum requirements include a 3.25 high school grade point average with a 24 ACT/1160 SAT score.
- If applicants grade point average and/or test scores increase to a qualify them for a larger award, they will receive notification that their award has been increased.
- Students who receive scholarships must maintain a minimum grade point average and credit hours at UM-Flint to have their awards renewed.