Eligibility – Application Evaluation
- Academic Performance: Reports from the applicant’s school are required as well as a personal recommendation from the Head. As a general guide, grades should be in the top decile of performance in an applicant’s age or peer group.
- Achievement in Sport, Music or Drama: An applicant must demonstrate that they are more than just an active participant in sport, music or drama, with some formal level of proficiency or accreditation.
- Social Influence and Communication: The applicant must have held a position of responsibility in their school, or failing that provide some evidence of confidence amongst peers. They will be expected to undergo an interview which will give an indication of their aptitude and personality traits, and to participate in practical assessment exercises to establish their ability to form and develop relationships among peers.
- Citizenship: An applicant must show through examples that they have helped those less fortunate than themselves, or have done work in the community, and are seen as role models. Unselfishness, kindness and concern for others are key criteria for The Beacon Scholarship and Scholars will be required to show continuing evidence of their efforts in these areas.
- Other Factors: In addition to the above, other factors to be taken into account include:
- Integration potential (which necessarily involves consideration of the applicant’s competence in English)
- The likely contribution of the applicant to other areas of school life
- Age – to be considered for the Beacon Scholarship for Schools is 13-18 years
- The applicant must be a Kenyan, Tanzanian or Ugandan National, i.e. have Kenyan, Tanzanian or Ugandan citizenship
Applicants will also need to demonstrate, with examples, that they are a ‘change-maker’:
- They have the capacity to ‘take people with them’ and
- They are already making a difference now.
Financial Need – Disclosure Requirements
In order for their child to qualify for a Beacon Scholarship, Parents/Guardians/Sponsors must demonstrate financial need and undertake full and complete financial disclosure. Parents/Guardians/Sponsors must be committed both financially and educationally for their child to complete their secondary education as a Beacon Scholar. The Beacon Scholarship is aimed at Parents/Guardians/Sponsors who can demonstrate financial need but are able to fund at least one third of the tuition fees for a Beacon Scholar.
PLEASE NOTE: It is unlikely that Parents/Guardians/Sponsors with an annual gross household income above US$80k will qualify.
Parents/Guardians/Sponsors will be required to complete a confidential Financial Disclosure form once their application has been reviewed. The Financial Disclosure form must be accompanied by electronic scans, in pdf or jpeg format, of the following documents and sent by email to The Beacon Equity Trust:
- the most recent 6 months’ payslips for each Parent/Guardian/Sponsor;
- letter from each Parent/Guardian/Sponsor’s employer verifying their annual income;
- tax returns for the last 2 years for each Parent/Guardian/Sponsor;
- if self-employed, financial statements verified by an accountant.