Global Fellowship Program for Social Entrepreneurs 2018
Yunus&Youth exists to make the challenge of social entrepreneurship easier. Y&Y was inspired by the work of Nobel Peace Prize winner Muhammad Yunus and his belief that companies and entrepreneurs can engage in business models that create real, sustainable social impact. People around the world struggle with social problems: some lack access to safe drinking water while others struggle with unemployment or insufficient health services (to name a few). Here is where social business comes in. These early stage start-ups drive social change because their founders are close to the problems they’re solving and the communities they’re helping. Like GreenChar in Kenya, where Y&Y Fellow Yina sells affordable charcoal briquettes that reduce the risk of contracting respiratory illnesses. Or Bella Handmade Jewelry, founded by Y&Y Fellow Walaa, which offers employment opportunities to women in refugee camps in Palestine. What makes social businesses unique is that they are for-profit, but they’re not profit-driven—they’re driven by their vision to improve society.
These are the main questions that you will need to complete in your online submission:
Tell us about your social business
- Social Business Name
- Facebook Page
- Describe your social business in one or two sentences.
- Are you legally incorporated? Please specify the country and the legal form. (100 characters)
- When was your social business started?
- What social problem do you want to solve? (300 characters)
- How does your social business solve that problem? (500 characters)
Tell us about your customers & revenue model
- Who are your beneficiaries/users? (300 characters)
- Who are your paying customers? Are they different from your beneficiaries? (300 characters)
- How do you plan to acquire more customers? How do you plan to grow and scale? (300 characters)
- How many customers have paid for your product/service in the past 12 months (since you have started working if less than 12 months)? (100 characters)
- Who are your competitors and how are you different from what they offer? (500 characters)
- What kind of evidence do you have that your solution works/will work? (300 characters)
- What is the most important measure/indicator of your success? (100 characters)
- What are your main expenses? (300 characters)
- What is your revenue model? How does your social business makes money?
Tell us about your team
- Who are the founders?
- Who are the other team members?
- What roles/people/knowledge is your team missing?
Deadline: 4th March, 2018