Applications are open for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Program offered by the Government of Canada. The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is unique in its emphasis on the synergy between:
- the applicant – their individual merit and potential to launch a successful research-intensive career; and
- the host institution – their commitment to the research program and alignment with the institution’s strategic priorities
An applicant to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship program must complete their application in full collaboration with the proposed host institution. The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program provides funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants, both nationally and internationally. These fellowships are for the ones who will positively contribute to the country’s economic, social, and research-based growth.
The objective of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is to:
- attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally
- develop their leadership potential
- position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow
Benefits of Fellowship by Government of Canada
- 70 fellowships are awarded annually and approximately 140 awards are active at any time.
- The fellowship are valued at $70,000 per year (taxable)
Citizenship and location of the host institution
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and foreign citizens are eligible to apply, provided they meet the following conditions:
- The applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicant who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
Eligibility window for degree completion
Applicants to the 2019-20 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must fulfill or have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree:
- between September 15, 2016 and September 30, 2020 (inclusively), and
- before the start date of their award.
- Applicants who have not fulfilled all requirements for their degree at the time of application must submit proof no later than October 15, 2020.
For applicants who have completed more than one PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree, the eligibility window applies to the most recent of these degrees.