Applications for IBM Research Africa Postdoctoral Fellowship. IBM Research Africa invites applications for postdoctoral positions to be held at the IBM Research Lab in South Africa, seeking outstanding candidates who obtained their doctoral degrees within the last five (5) years. Applicants who are currently finalizing their doctoral dissertations for examination may apply, provided that they will submit by 31 July 2021. The positions are tenable for eight months between May and December 2021.
Successful candidates will work at a world-class research lab developing AI technologies, algorithms, and applications for some of the grand industry and development challenges that face the world today. Candidates will gain hands-on industry research experience while working directing on and gaining the knowledge of IBM’s various advanced technologies.
The research projects to be undertaken during the fellowship will be characterized by data-driven innovation and machine learning, in areas such as quantum computing, computational genomics, clinical natural language processing, biomedical image analysis, geospatial AI for climate and environmental applications, and decision optimization for policymaking with AI. Many of the research projects will be geared towards having a transformational impact in South Africa and across the African continent.
Here are the components of the IBM Research Africa Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Successful candidates should expect to undertake postdoctoral research on a project that is defined by IBM Research which may therefore be different from their doctoral research.
- Fellows will be supervised by researchers from the South African research lab; working alongside other expert IBMers from the network of IBM Research global labs.
- The fellows will contribute to research outputs including proofs-of-concept, publications, patents, and public seminars (at least
- The fellows will collaborate extensively with teams from various IBM Research labs and contribute to cross-lab outputs and objectives.
- As IBMers, the fellows will also have access to IBM computing infrastructure, IT, and cloud services; and to a wide range of global mentorship and networking opportunities.
Candidates applying for this IBM Research Africa Postdoctoral Fellowship position should
- Be a South African natural.
- Be a member of designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act: Black (African, Indian and Coloured).
- Should be unemployed for the duration of the fellowship.
- Have completed a doctoral degree within the last (5) years in Computer Science and other fields with considerable computational modeling and programming focus, such as Computational Biology; Computer Science; Data Science; Electrical, Electronic or Computer Engineering; Computational Genomics; Industrial Engineering; Computational Physics; Computational Mathematics & Statistics, Health or Medical Informatics.
- Similarly, have demonstrable research proficiency based on the scientific method, meaning they must have the ability to define research questions, formulate hypotheses, and develop innovative solutions using cutting-edge technologies.
- Be familiar with data science and machine learning methods, including their implementation. Also, experience with deep learning, signal and image processing, and computational mathematics will be advantageous.