Northwestern University calls applications for the Presidential Fellowships 2020. Presidential Fellows are students who promise to combine outstanding intellectual or creative ability with the capacity to play an important leadership role not only in the Society of Fellows but also in their respective disciplines and beyond. All Presidential Fellows participate in the Society of Fellows functions, including dinners at which Fellows present their work, an annual retreat, special events, and various other activities.
The Presidential Fellowship is highly competitive and the most prestigious fellowship awarded to graduate students by Northwestern University. Less than 12% of nominated students are appointed to the Fellowship.
The candidates must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the Northwestern University – Presidential Fellowships
- The students must be pursuing a Ph.D. degree at Northwestern University.
- Moreover, the candidates must have a combination of creative ability and outstanding intellectual.
- Also, they must have the ability to play an active part in the life of the Society of Fellows.
- Similarly, the University will select the applicants by nomination only.
- Doctoral programs may nominate one or two candidates, depending on size.
- All other doctoral programs may nominate one candidate for the fellowship.
- Furthermore, applicants must be admitted to candidacy, at the time of nomination.
- The University selects the candidates on their ability to communicate the impact of research to an audience.
- Also, it evaluates the applicant’s scholarly and research accomplishments.
- The University also takes the applicant’s academic achievements into consideration.
- Similarly, it also examines the applicant’s leadership qualities and interdisciplinary activity.
- Similarly, it evaluates letters of recommendation during the selection process.
- It also assesses the applicant’s contribution to the Society of Fellows during the two-year fellowship.
The selected candidates will receive the following benefits
- They will receive a monthly stipend and tuition starting in the fall quarter of the award period for 24 months
- In addition to that, they will also get a $1000 research award in each year of the fellowship period that may be used within each award year on research-related expenses.
- Furthermore, the candidates will get up to $1000 each year in research/conference-related travel funds, available by request in each year of the fellowship.
The candidates must submit the following documents
- A cover sheet along with the required information. as well as a copy of their CV.
- A description of their research and an abstract. and also two letters of recommendation.
- Unofficial Northwestern transcript as well as a sample of research or creative work in electronic format
For further details for the application procedure, visit the official website.