Scholarships for International Students in Canada is by Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program. The Government of Canada launched the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program in 2008 to strengthen Canada’s ability to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and establish Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning. Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
The participants shall get a chance to complete their doctoral study at their preferred university in Canada with full or partial scholarships. It provides around $50,000 per year for three years to the students during their study.
The applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- be nominated by the institution at which they want to study
- must be pursuing first his/her doctoral degree
- have completed not more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2019
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by his/her institution
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree
- not hold a faculty appointment concurrently with a Vanier Scholarship
- Applications are initiated in one of two ways. Either:
- the student informs the faculty of graduate studies at the selected institution of their intent to apply to the Vanier CGS program; or
- the institution initiates the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate.
- Applications are prepared by the student and submitted to the nominating institution by their internal deadline (set in ResearchNet by the nominating institution) using the ResearchNet application system.
- The nominating institution performs the internal candidate selection process.
- The nominating institution forwards recommended nominations to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) by October 31, 2018 (20:00 Eastern Time).
- The Secretariat coordinates the review process.
- The Secretariat presents the recommendations to the Tri-Agency Programs (TAP) Steering Committee.
- The TAP Steering Committee endorses and approves final decisions for the Vanier CGS program.
- Nominated candidates are notified of the competition results in April 2019.