The 2023-2024 Application Period is from Oct 1 – Nov 30, 2023
The ConDev Student Media Grant Program 2023-2024 is now accepting application to highlight global challenges through human stories
This year, ConDov has teamed up with the department of Hospitality, Hotel Management and tourism to emphasize the pivotal role played by the hospitality and tourism in conflict resolution across the globe. Since 2013, program participants have used photos, interviews and other means to document world events depicting the intersection of conflict and development. This year we ask the question, “How has hospitality and tourism supported peace building”. These grants are funded by Texas A&M’s Howard G. Buffett Foundation Endowed Chair on Conflict and Development.
Student Media Grant Program (SMGP) theme for 2023-2024:
This year, 2023-2024, the theme of the program is the role of tourism and hospitality in supporting families and communities to avoid conflict, thrive during conflict, or recover from conflict.
This theme is chosen to (a) commemorate the tenth anniversary of the installation of a selection of Howard G. Buffett photography at Texas A&M University, and (b) to celebrate the inauguration of the Department of Hospitality, Hotel Management and Tourism in Texas A&M’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Winners of the 2023-24 photo-journalism grants will be invited to Texas A&M to present their finished work as part of the celebration of the installation of the Buffett photography.
you might also like: 2023 Global Media Competition on Labour Migration
Benefits of Student Media Grant Program (SMGP)
- Those selected for the program will receive up to $5,000 to travel to any location they choose, domestic or international, as long as they secure proper approval from their university and any other relevant entities.
- The program is open to undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled at any accredited university worldwide.
- Students graduating in 2023 are also eligible to apply.
- October 1, 2023: Begin Accepting Application
- November 30, 2023 (due by 11:59 pm CST, USA time): Application Deadline
- December 2023: Review Period – please be patient as we review your incredible proposals!
- January 7-23, 2024: Notification Period
- February-May 2024 (Depending on proposal timeline): Funding Disbursement
Selection Criteria for Student Media Grant Program
- Is well thought out and provides a clear thematic focus and/or issue to be chronicled
- Proposes innovative use of media to chronicle chosen issue
- Has clear goal that is related to the issue
- Is pulled from a variety of sources
Motivation for Work:
- Provides at least 1 page of statement of motivation for work
- Motivation is clearly focused in an organized and thoughtful manner
- Information is constructed in a logical pattern to support the theme and/or issue to be chronicled
Planned Activities over 2 Month Period:
- Planned activities span a two-month period
- Provides plans for media/publication/blogging
- Provides clear deliverables
Budget and Travel Plans:
- Provides well-structured budget and requests amount under the $5000 limit
- Provides high leverage to project with external funds (not required, but encouraged)
- Provides clear travel dates
- Majority of requested budget is spent conducting project in the field
Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!