TWAS Fellowships for Research and Advanced Training
TWAS offers fellowships to young scientists in developing countries to enable them to spend three to 12 months at a research institution in a developing country other than their own. The purpose of these fellowships is to enhance the research capacity of promising scientists, especially those at the beginning of their research career, helping them to foster links for further collaboration.
- The fellowships are for research and advanced training. They are offered to young scientists holding at least an MSc or equivalent degree.
- Eligible applicants for the fellowships are young scientists working in any area of natural sciences who are citizens of a developing country and are employed by a research institution in a developing country.
- There is no age limit. However, preference is given to young scientists at the beginning of their research career and those working in Least Developed Countries.
- Institutes of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), China, are not eligible host institutions under this programme. Applicants interested in conducting a fellowship in China are required to check whether their chosen host is a CAS institute. For a complete list of CAS institutes, see: english.cas.cn/institutes/. Applicants wishing to attend a CAS institute should either apply to the CAS-TWAS President’s Postgraduate Fellowship Programme or consider the CAS Fellowships for Postdoctoral and Visiting Scholars from Developing Countries.
Terms of the Fellowships
- The fellowships are offered for a minimum of three months and a maximum of twelve months.
- TWAS covers international low-cost airfare plus a contribution towards subsistence amounting to a maximum of USD 300 per month. No other costs will be provided by TWAS.
- The host institution is expected to provide accommodation and food as well as research facilities.
Application and Selection Procedure
- Fellowships are awarded by the TWAS Fellowships Committee on the basis of scientific merit.
- Applications should be completed in English.
- Part 1 of the application form should be completed by the applicant and the head of the applicant’s HOME institution, and sent to the TWAS secretariat. Material requested:
- the completed application form;
- passport-style photograph as a separate JPEG file;
- copy of passport page giving personal details (even if expired);
- the applicant’s curriculum vitae;
- full list of publications (do not enclose reprints of articles!);
- letters of recommendation submitted separately to TWAS by two referees who are familiar with the applicant’s work.
- Part 2 must be sent by the applicant to the head of the institution he/she intends to visit, together with a copy of Part 1 (for information). Part 2 should then be completed by the head of the host institution and sent to the TWAS secretariat. NB: Applications cannot be considered unless Part 2 has been completed by the head of the host institute.
- Only for applicants selecting the S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, India, as their host choice: please direct the request for Part 2 to Prof. Chakrabarti (Dean, Academic Programme by email: [email protected]), accompanying your request with a copy of your CV, research proposal and two reference letters.
- The deadline for receipt of applications (Parts 1 and 2) is 1 October of each year.
- Applications should be sent to:
TWAS Exchanges Office
ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240-330
Fax: +39 040 2240-689
- Note that the Fellowships are provided for South-South visits only, i.e. for visits by researchers from developing countries to institutions in other developing countries.
- Applications that are unsigned, incomplete, illegible or filled out in a language other than English cannot be accepted.
- Applicants should be aware that they can apply for only one TWAS or OWSD fellowship per year. With the exception of the Visiting Scientists programme, all other fellowship programmes offered by TWAS and OWSD are mutually exclusive.
Deadline: October 1, 2016
Official Link: http://twas.org/opportunity/twas-fellowships-research-and-advanced-training