TWAS Research Grants Programme 2019 in Basic Sciences (Individuals) is now available for applications. The TWAS Research Grants Programme in Basic Sciences was established in response to the needs of researchers in developing countries, particularly those attached to institutions that lack appropriate research facilities. Under this scheme, grants are awarded to promising high-level research projects in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics as well as Physics carried out by individual scientists in one of the S&T-lagging countries identified by TWAS. The grant program enables them to purchase the research facilities they need to enhance their productivity.
- Research Grants to individual scientists amount to a maximum of USD 15,000.
- The grants are normally provided for a period of 24 months. Applicants may use the amount to purchase scientific equipment, consumables and specialized literature (textbooks and proceedings only). They do not cover salaries of researchers and/or students, field expenses, or travel expenses. In addition, the grant does not support the purchase of laptops and laboratory animals.
- TWAS Research Grants are for high-level promising research projects in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics, by individual scientists in the S&T-lagging countries (S&TLC).
- Individual applicants must be nationals of developing countries. They must hold a PhD, be at the beginning of their careers, but already have some research experience. Furthermore, they must hold a position at a university or research institution in one of the S&TLCs and be under 45 years of age.
- Moreover, applicant, at the time of application, shouldn’t have an active research grant with TWAS or OWSD Early Career Women Scientists (ECWS) Fellowship.
- Applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes.
You need to submit the TWAS Research Grant applications online in order to receive this grant.