The Western Union Foundation Global Scholarship Program, also referred to as WU Scholars, is a program designed to support young people and their efforts to pursue a post-secondary education.
Moreover, the WU Scholars program was created to help give young people a boost toward a better life. The Western Union Foundation believes education is the surest path to economic opportunity. Educational pursuits to gain knowledge and skills for in-demand, 21st century careers are helping people all over the world climb the economic ladder.
Selected scholarship recipients will receive USD $2,500 each to contribute toward tuition or school fees at an accredited post-secondary institution as well as will be selected based on criteria relating to the program’s three pillars: Perseverance, Aspiration, and Community-Mindedness.
- All applicants must be pursuing a degree/field of study in one of the following categories: science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and business/entrepreneurship.
- All applicants for scholarships must be between the ages of 18 – 26 years of age on June 1, 2019.
- Application must be submitted in English. Translation services may be used to help non-English speakers submit.
- Must be able to demonstrate admittance to an accredited post-secondary institution or have applied for admittance.
- Must provide a letter of recommendation from a teacher or professor.
- Also, Scholarships must be used on programs resulting in an undergraduate degree. Specialized academic programs (study abroad term, stand-alone language acquisition course, service learning, etc.) are not permitted.
- Scholarships may not be used for advanced degrees, such as Masters, PhD, JD, etc.
- Scholarships may be used for tuition or school fees during the academic term immediately following scholarship winner selections (estimated in July). Funds cannot be used for room and board or for school supplies.
- Immediate family members of controlling officers in Western Union, any of its affiliates and non-affiliated nonprofit entities, or its Agents are not eligible to participate in the scholarship program. All other employees and their family members who meet the other eligibility requirements may apply.