This year World Nomads are looking for 3 aspiring travel writers to go on assignment in Portugal and be mentored by professional travel writer and contributor to The New York Times, Tim Neville. Moreover, on the trip participants will attend a comprehensive travel writing workshop with Tim and witness the evolution of this age-old civilization as it emerges as a hub for digital nomads and creatives. Then, they will be sent off to uncover the stories of the people who give life to the historical heart, sweeping coastlines and cobbled lanes of one of the oldest countries in Europe.
- Receive a round-trip airfare from your closest international airport to Portugal.
- Also, Attend a 4-day workshop with Tim Neville and receive a portfolio review from Norie Quintos.
- Embark on a bespoke 10-day adventure with US $1000 and free accommodation.
- Also, Score a copy of Lonely Planet’s ‘How to be a Travel Writer’.
- Explore more of Portugal and Europe with a 1-month Global Eurail (or Interrail) pass; as well as
- As always, travel insurance for the trip provided by World Nomads.
To be chosen for this scholarship candidates will need to convince judging panel through their writing that they have the spirit of adventure and passion for travel writing. Their writing should showcase:
- Great descriptive ability (without getting flowery)
- Also, A well-structured narrative and a strong eye for detail
- Ability to uncover a great travel story and tell it in a compelling way
- Also, Excellent spelling and grammar and a knack for avoiding clichés
How to apply
- Select story theme: A leap into the unknown’ ‘Making a local connection’ ‘I didn’t expect to find’
- Write a travel story: Use chosen theme to craft a compelling story about a travel experience you’ve had in 700 words or less.
- Complete the application form: Fill in personal details so they know how to contact applicants should make the shortlist.