The YSEALI Professional Fellows Program provides emerging leaders ages 25-35 the opportunity to spend five weeks in the United States, including four weeks working directly with American counterparts in individually tailored work placements with relevant private and/or public sector organizations. Moreover, during these placements, Fellows build their practical expertise, leadership skills, as well as professional networks. In addition, the YSEALI Professional Fellows Program offers exchange opportunities under the following themes:
- Civic Engagement (designed for emerging civil society/NGO leaders who focus on underrepresented populations). Application Dates: February 1 – March 30, 2019
- Economic Empowerment (designed for emerging entrepreneurs and community leaders who focus on economic development). Application Dates: February 1 – April 1, 2019
- Governance and Society (designed for emerging policymakers, political leaders, public administrators, journalists as well as NGO leaders who focus on legislative/governance processes and practices).
- Sustainable Development and the Environment(designed for emerging urban and green space planners, planning and sustainability directors, natural resource managers, as well as other private and public sector leaders who focus on sustainable development and environmental issues). Application Dates: February 1 – March 30, 2019
Applicants must be:
- Be community leaders, ages 25-35, currently employed and with at least two years of professional experience at the time of application;
- Also, Have a track record of making an impact in their community, institution or company;
- Be proficient in spoken and written English at the time of application;
- Also, Be a citizen of, and currently residing in, one of the 11 YSEALI countries (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste and Vietnam).
- Demonstrate a strong track record of leadership or positive impact in their community or workplace;
- Also, Demonstrate knowledge, or professional experience in one of the YSEALI Professional Fellows Program themes: Civic Engagement, Economic Empowerment, Governance and Society, or Sustainable Development and the Environment;
- Demonstrate a commitment or interest to community service, volunteerism, or mentorship;
- Also, Indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States, ASEAN, and Southeast Asia as a region;
- Be willing to actively participate in a professional work environment to develop professional capacities as well as leadership skills;
- Also, Have a commitment to return to their home country to apply leadership skills and training to benefit their community, country, or the region; and
- Preferably have little or no prior work, study, or travel experience in the United States.