Apply for the Vacancy for Catalog Librarian at Texas A&M International University. The category of the position is Libraries.
This position creates and maintains metadata for library materials in all formats and leads the development of metadata policies including descriptive, administrative, and technical metadata schemas for digital collections appropriate for the library’s current and future content management systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will have the following duties
- Catalogs and classifies monographic materials of classes using cataloging rules and schedules. Supervises physical processing of monographic materials in all formats.
- Also, catalogs and classifies non-State-adopted materials, print or non-print, for the Library, using a classification schedules. Catalogs and classifies State-adopted materials and supervises the processing of those materials.
- Likewise, theses, honors theses, dissertations, student papers, oral history interviews, manuscripts, and maps.
- Completes original cataloging, prepares work-forms for input onto the online system with proper fixed fields, tags, indicators, delimiters and exporting records to the Library’s integrated system.
- Also, makes necessary changes in order to conform to library practices. Reviews new subject headings accepted by the Library.
- Establishes and maintains policies and procedures for the operation of the Catalog Department. Aids in problem solving with regard to the cataloging and authority subsystems of the Library system. Solves problems in records and in Library System.
- Furthermore, directs operators regarding choice of records, modifications, call numbers, subject headings, cataloging rules, and local practices.
- Also, coordinates, supervises, and participates in the maintenance of the database created by the cataloging module of the library system.
The incumbent must meet the given criteria
- Education – Master’s degree in Library Science
- Also, experience – No prior experience required.
- Additionally, an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Two or more years of experience performing cataloging and metadata functions
- Also, advanced coursework in cataloging, indexing, and/or metadata.
- Supervisory experience
- Experience cataloging Spanish language materials.
Knowledge and Abilities
- OCLC or a similar bibliographic utility,
- Likewise, LC and Dewey classification systems,
- Also, accepted standards such as AACR2 and MARC, and
- Microcomputer applications
Knowledge and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of collection assessment processes and procedures.
- Also, the ability to perform original cataloging.
- Demonstrated knowledge of both traditional cataloging practice and of emerging methods, including a current awareness of national trends and development in cataloging, metadata standards, and information retrieval including RDA and FRBR.
- Additionally, aptitude for accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Also, the ability to take initiative.
- Cover Letter
- At least 3 references and their full contact information, an
- Unofficial transcripts.
Visit the official page for more information. Also, so check out oyaop.com for more job opportunities.