The UN Economic Commission for Africa announces a vacancy opening for the position of Environment Management Officer. The incumbent will join the Faculty Management Section (FMS) in the Divison of Administration of ECA. Basically, the incumbent will be liable for the reporting on all aspects of the development and implementation of an Environmental Management System (EMS), a framework that helps the organization achieve its environmental goals through consistent review, evaluation, and improvement of its environmental performance. S/he will directly report to the Chief of Facility Management Section.
- Coordinating the development, implementation, and operation of the Environmental Management System (EMS) of the UNECA premises in Addis Ababa.
- Monitoring and analyzing the EMS development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports.
- Identifying the problems and issues to need attention and propose corrective actions and liaising with relevant parties as well as identifying and tracks follow-up actions.
- Performing the coordination work of an operational EMS working group, representing key stakeholders during the EMS implementation. Similarly, performing assignments on information collation and needs assessment, in collaboration with relevant parties within the UN system.
- Collecting data related to carbon emissions from various sources in UNECA premises, work on mitigation strategies for its reduction, conduct energy audits and provide advice on energy-saving strategies.
- Doing researches, analyzing and presenting information gathered from diverse sources to support the formation of all aspects of the EMS.
- Assisting in the development of the EMS specification to define objectives, formalize actions, and build key performance indicators for monitoring progress.
- Similarly, assisting in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Undertakes survey initiatives as well as designing data collection tools.
- Doing review, analyzing and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and also preparing recommendations for decision making for the steering group.
- Preparing schedule and cost estimates for the implementation of the EMS, as well as various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications and the like.
- Taking the lead in working with identifying EMS related projects and coordinate with relevant stakeholders notably FMS, SSS, CMS in realizing the projects, reporting on the progress. And preparing reports to DDOA, SMT, and GA on ECA undertakings related to EMS
- Developing a communication strategy and plan for all outreach activities.
- Conducting training workshops, seminars, etc; suggests activities to facilitate staff’s behavioral changes for improved environmental sustainability and also making presentations on EMS topics/activities to a wide range of audiences and leads meetings and task forces.
- Coordinating activities related to budget and funding (program/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) as well as preparing related documents/reports.
- Furthermore, performing other related duties as and when requested by Chief of Section and Director of Administration.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in environmental Management, environmental sciences/architecture, environmental engineering or a related field. However, bachelor degree holders with two additional years of qualifying experience are also eligible to apply.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in environmental management; program management related to environmental management; environmental engineering; use of clean technology or related areas.
- Similarly, three years of experience in an Environmental Management/ Environmental Engineering System implementation is necessary.
- Proven experience in methodologies (i.e. PRINCE2) and knowledge of standards (i.e. PMI) for project management as well as experienced in the evaluation and oversight of environmental compliance and the development of environmental KPI is desirable.
- Experience preparing and reviewing technical environmental documents, plans and reports is desirable.
- Similarly, experience analyzing, interpreting and assessing compliance with complex environmental regulations and recommending and implementing solutions is an asset.
Furthermore, training or certification in any of the below would be highly desirable.
- ISO 14001, ISO 14031 or EMAS or other Environmental Management Certification
- PRINCE2 (foundation or practitioner) and/or PMP (PMI)
- Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM)
- Environmental Health and Safety Management Specialist (EHS)
- LEED, BREEAM, Green Star and/or Estidama.
Here’s the official link for this vacancy of Environmental Management Officer in the UN Economic Commission for Africa.