Museum of Contemporary Art, Skopje calls entries for international competition for preparation of preliminary urban and architectural development design for arrangement of the Kale Hill in Skopje.
The International Competition for preparation of preliminary urban and architectural development design for arrangement of the Kale Hill in Skopje is an integral part of the project Kale – Cultural Fortress, organized by the Museum of Contemporary Art in Skopje, with the goal of encouraging the revitalization and spatial arrangement of the Kale Hill into an attractive and vibrant city attraction with various cultural, educational and recreational functions.
The proposals should also consider and emphasize the natural advantages of the location and its contents from the aspect of proximity to the central city area; the vibrant morphology of the terrain and in that sense its recreational capacities; topographic diversity with multiple places that provide wonderful views of the city panorama and the landscape of the Skopje valley.
Prize + Awards
The total amount of the prize fund for the competition is MKD 300,000 in a GROSS amount:
- First prize: 150,000.00 MKD (2432.07 EUR)
- Second prize: 100,000.00 MKD (1621.38 EUR)
- Third prize: 50,000.00 MKD (810.69 EUR)
The prize fund is provided by the City of Skopje, from the budget of the “ROCK” project.
The participants in the competition need to prepare a preliminary urban and architectural development design project, which should include the following appendices:
- explanation of the concept of the urban and architectural development design (up to 1.000 words);
- Likewise, a description of the proposed spatial and program structure (up to 500 words);
- Further, a description of the functional design solution (up to 500 words);
- Also, information about the area in square meters of the individual program contents (up to 500 words);
- concept of connecting the Kale Hill with the surrounding city area, presented in a situational plan (through drawings and diagrams, in scale and media chosen by the author);
- Likewise, spatial representations of the concept, where the important landscaping and spatial elements are displayed – the river Vardar, Fortress Kale, the building of the Museum, etc. (in media to be chosen by the author);
- Further, situation plan for the entire design range/scope (scale 1:1000);
- Similarly, floor-plans and sections that present the newly planned interventions within their immediate surroundings (scale 1:500);
- Additionally, spatial presentations of the entire urban and architectural development design project with characteristic segments of the proposed solution (in scale and media chosen by the author);
- Also, phases of implementation of the urban and architectural development (through drawings and diagrams);
How To Apply
- Applicants must submit the competition work under a code with minimum of 5 characters (numbers and/or letters). Further, the applicants should indicate the code should on each of the appendices on the upper right corner.
- Applicants must submit all the appendices wrapped in a protective cover. Further, the applicants must mark the appendices with the same code, without a signature or any other mark.
- All graphics appendices (not more than 8 sheets), should be in B1 format (700×1000 mm). Also, the applicants must submit the sheets flat and not rolled up.
- Further, you may submit the textual part of the competition work on paper, A4 format, in 3 copies.
- A CD or DVD should be enclosed with the competition work where all the appendices to the competition work are recorded:
- graphic appendices in .PDF format;
- textual appendices in .DOC format;
- Enclosed with the competition work should be submitted a single nontransparent sealed envelope, with the designation “AUTHOR”, marked with the same code as the appendices.
The competition works can be handed over in person or through mail to the archive of the Museum of Contemporary Art Skopje, at the following address:
Museum of Contemporary Art – Skopje, ul. Samoilova bb, 1000
Skopje, Republic of North Macedonia
The competition begins on the day of the announcement: 05.04.2019. The deadline for handing over the works is 15.05.2019.
Applicants also should note that there is no entry fee requirement