Applicants are welcome to apply for the Menuhin Competition in Richmond, Virginia 2020. Menuhin Competition can’t wait to receive applications from talented young violinists all over the world!2020 will be the second time that the Menuhin Competition has taken place in the USA since its inception in 1983. Further, most recently the Competition was held in Geneva, Switzerland (2018) and also, in London, UK (2016) in celebration of Menuhin’s centenary. Prior to this, the Competition took place in Austin, TX, USA (2014), Beijing, China (2012) and Oslo, Norway (2010).
Collaborative in its spirit, the focus is placed on participation and learning rather than winning the 1st Prize. Moreover, creating a stimulating environment in which talented young violinists may learn and grow has always been and will remain at the heart of the Menuhin Competition.
- 1st Prize:
plus a 2-year loan of a golden period Stradivarius violin from the private collection of Jonathan Moulds CBE
- 2nd Prize:
- 3rd Prize:
- 4th Prize:
- Chamber Music Award:
- Composer Award:
- Audience Prize (hall):
- Audience Online Prize (online):
- The 2020 Morningside Music Bridge Young Artist Award (a scholarship to attend Morningside Music Bridge, an educational program of the Calgary Philharmonic Society in partnership with the Morningside Music Bridge Foundation) also, will be given to a participant aged 18 years or younger.
- Also, the prizewinner will perform at the Gower Festival in July 2020/2021.
- Further, A prizewinner will perform a concerto with The Doctors’ Orchestra at London’s Cadogan Hall in February/March 2021 in aid of the UK charity Freedom from Torture.
- Four prize winners will be participating in the Kronberg Violin Masterclasses in May/June 2021.
- Likewise, the prizewinner will perform a coffee concert at Wigmore Hall, London in June 2021.
- A Junior prizewinner and also a Senior prizewinner will each perform a recital at the Gstaad Menuhin Festival 2021.
- The Competition is open to violinists of any nationality under the age of 22.
- Likewise, Junior entrants must be under 16 years of age and Senior entrants must be under 22 years of age on 24 May 2020 (that is everybody born after 24 May 1998).
- Violinists aged 15 on 14 May 2020 may also enter the Senior Section.