Nikon puts out a call to international photomicrographers for its Small World Competition 2020. The Nikon International Small World Competition first began in 1975. Its aim was to recognize and applaud the efforts of those involved with photography through the light microscope. Since then, Small World has become a leading showcase for photomicrographers from the widest array of scientific disciplines.
Nikon Small World doesn’t restrict photomicrographers of its subject matter. Any type of light microscopy technique is acceptable, including phase contrast, polarized light, fluorescence, interference contrast, darkfield, confocal, deconvolution. Further, photomicrographers may go for mixed techniques as well. An independent panel of experts well versed in the area of photomicrography and photography will judge the entries. Judges will assess these entries on the basis of originality, informational content, technical proficiency, and visual impact.
Who is Eligible for Nikon Small World Photomicrography Competition?
- Anyone over the age of 18 is eligible, with the exception of employees of Nikon, their families, the contest judges, and individuals engaged in the manufacture or sale of microscopes, related accessories or photographic equipment.
- Former first prizewinners are ineligible to win first prize in the three contests immediately following the contest they won but can win other prizes.
- However, an image that has won any other photomicrography competition is not eligible.
- Photomicrographs must be taken using a light microscope, such as one of the Nikon series of microscopes. All types of light microscopy and specimens are acceptable. However, electron and any other microscopes that do not capture imagery using optical light technology are not permitted.
- Nor Applicants may submit Macro Photography.
- However, it is not essential to use Nikon equipment. Nor a purchase is necessary to enter or win.
- Entrants may submit images as follows:
- Digitally: Uploading to the Small World Competition entry area here. Images must be in jpeg, png, psd, or tiff format. (Please submit the highest quality image with regard to file size, bit depth, and resolution.)
- For images on film, a 35mm mounted transparency will be accepted. Entrants may not use glass mounts.
How To apply for Nikon Photomicrography Competition?
Contestants may enter the Competition by uploading video files directly to the Small World servers. However, Nikon encourages the contestants to read the contest rules before applying for the competition.
Contestants should apply for the Nikon Small World competition by no later than 30 April 2020.